Zootoca vivipara in Trentino

Zootoca vivipara in Trentino

Postby Ruggero M. » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:34 pm

Gravid females are very easy distinguished from P.muralis specimens.
Not the same thing can be said for not gravid specimens, as the two photographed between Passo Rolle and Malga Segantini: but a gravid female was nearby...

Habitat of the first specimen: Laghi di Colbricon.
habitat.jpg

1.jpg
Gravid female, at the shore of the higher Colbricon lake
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Re: Zootoca vivipara in Trentino

Postby Ruggero M. » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:39 pm

Two specimens (greenish male ? and a young) photographed on a stone wall between Passo Rolle and Malga Segantini
2.jpg

Nearby was a reddish gravid female (?): at first I spotted a similar "fat" reddish specimen basking among the grass. Later very probably the same specimen went on a stone of the wall, where I could take this picture.
3.jpg

Another small specimen, with regrown tail: at least to me it seems not to be the same small specimen shown above... Note the blackish posterior and tail region, typical of subadult specimens of this species.
subadult.jpg
Ruggero M.

Postby Ruggero M. » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:41 pm

Gravid female basking between Passo Rolle and San Martino di Castrozza.
4.jpg
Ruggero M.

Postby Massimo Trentin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:42 am

Good shots Ruggero. The greenish male is really nice and the pattern recall the muralis one. But the head shape is quite typical.
Massimo Trentin

Hometown: Torrebelvicino

Postby Ruggero M. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:06 am

Massimo Trentin wrote:Good shots Ruggero. The greenish male is really nice and the pattern recall the muralis one. But the head shape is quite typical.

It's really so! Thanks, Massimo, for your reply.
I must add that, even if I'm a rather expert herper, I didn't see anything else of reptile life: no snakes, no muralis (!)... nothing at all! :(
And also seeing the vivapara was not an easy task.
Ruggero M.

Postby Thomas Bader » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:51 am

Dear Ruggero,

very intersting variations of Zootoca. The area is interesting in many ways. First of all it would be highly interesting, if the Zootocas are egg layers or livebearing, or maybe both like in Carinthian areas, where they lay eggs in lower elevations and they are viviparous in higher altitudes.
The second story is the occurrence of I. horvathi in this area, which is quite unknown in many areas of Trentino. However, I guess it could be like in Austria, where the records became more and more only recently, because of confusions with P. muralis. Have you ever searched for this species in the region?
Last year I visited the Val dei Mocheni in Trentino and hiked to the Erdemolo lake in June. I only found many many P. muralis on the way up and one Z. longissimus on the way, no Z. vivipara (although I didn't search a lot). I looks also promising for V. berus.

IMG_3516kl.jpg
Lago di Edemolo
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Ruggero M. » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks, Thomas! :P

Have you pictures of the longissimus you found?

Sorry to admit it, but I'm not very expert or fond of lizards: it's even the first time I hear of horvathi in Trentino, or the fact that vivipara can also lay eggs... :oops:
And I'm also very new to Zootoca: but my excursions have all been very high (always over 1600-1800 meters) and I knew I could find there, most probably, only vivipara and/or berus from my readings... :lol:

P.S. Incidentally: I've seen on the web some pictures of I.horvathi, and I think I won't be able to distinguish this species from muralis... :cry:
Ruggero M.

Postby Clive Brignull » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Hi, Thought i would have the same ploblem in Slovenia. Usually the rostral contacts frontnasal (snout) in Horvath's but not in Common wall and is a good indicator. Although they are similar in other ways you can tell difference when both species are present
Clive Brignull

Hometown: Braintree

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:08 am

Hi ;)
Here two more easy characters, to distinguish muralis from horvathi:
1) (needs some "knowledge"): horvathis are more "shiny". If you ever have seen these two species, you will recognize it very easy.
2) scale rings on tail: all nearly the "same" width in muralis, while in horvathi there are (at least in the 1st half) wide rings, often followed by a (much more distinct than in muralis) small ring.
horvathi.jpg
Iberolacerta horvathi; Carinthia, Austria

muralis.jpg
Podarcis muralis; Carinthia, Austria
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:08 am

Thanks! :)