Sardinia in October

Sardinia in October

Postby Mario Riedling » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi fellows!

Last week I’ve been to Sardinia. As last year on Corfu I was alone and obviously in fall – so not the best conditions.

My main goals were Speleomantes but I’d be happy about every herp that crosses my way.
It wasn’t easy as it was quite dry the first days and it is high season for mushrooms so hundreds of italians literally dug through every forrest to collect (and sell) shitloads of mushrooms. It looked as they plowed though most forrests, even in very remote areas. So especially in Sette Fratelli National Park it was difficult to find anything – even during/after rainfalls.
The good thing is: I found all Speleomantes but imperialis, S. sarrabusensis und E. orbicularis in new locations (reffering to de Pous et al. 2012).

I only had 5 days and had my headquarter at the entrance of Sette Fratelli so my ways to S. flavus and S. supramontis were quite long but I managed to see them though.
I’ve been to perfect looking places at perfect weather but still had problems to find species I hoped to see (N. maura, Testudo spec., H. serda, E. platycephalus).

You can find my trip report in german here: http://www.ambystomatidae.de/ausfluege- ... -2015.html
Please have a look at the lizards, I’m not 100% sure if really all of them are Podarcis tiliguerta. I still hope there’s another species on the photos^^

Best regards,
Mario
Mario Riedling

Hometown: Pfinztal

Re: Sardinia in October

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks for that, I am always thrilled to see Tyrrhenian reports! To me eye, your lizzies are all tiliguerta.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Andre Schmid » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:20 am

Very nice ! Some pictures reminds me on the places I visited the last few years . Congrats on finding the Salamanders ! Last year I was there in the end of August and the island was very very drought out - I didnt found a single Salamander :?
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Robin Duborget » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:57 am

Italian are well know for their love of mushrooms ...

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Thanks for that, I am always thrilled to see Tyrrhenian reports! To me eye, your lizzies are all tiliguerta.

I agree, all of them are tiliguerta.

It's always interesting to see the difference with the corsican fauna. This profusion of Speleomantes species is always surprising !

Robin
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

Postby Thomas Reich » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:57 pm

Thank you for your nice report. You seem to have searched like crazy ;) I especially like the Emys picture. So did you find all/most of the salamanders under stones?

I think that you are one of the good guys that flip rocks carefully and replace them as it should be. On my journey to Sardinia in 2012 I unfortunately saw some heavily disturbed habitats, assumedly caused by people turning big stones like a wild sow (as we say in German). :evil:
Thomas Reich

Hometown: Switzerland

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:52 am

Thomas Reich wrote:I think that you are one of the good guys that flip rocks carefully and replace them as it should be. On my journey to Sardinia in 2012 I unfortunately saw some heavily disturbed habitats, assumedly caused by people turning big stones like a wild sow (as we say in German). :evil:

May I quote our admin Mario, regarding one of our "over-enthusiastic" (or hyperactive?) common Austrian friend:
"After him, it's like an aftermath of a nuclear war..." (Name known to Mario and myself). Indeed, years after that
one can still recognize his "path through the habitat"...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby miguel santos » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:16 am

Althoug I also flip stones, what you both mention is one of things I hate to see in the field. I do animal counts in a few places and I recognize imediately if someone was there before me and did not place back one or more stones or wood pieces
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Postby Mario Riedling » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for all your posts!

Thomas Reich wrote:You seem to have searched like crazy ;) I especially like the Emys picture. So did you find all/most of the salamanders under stones?

No I just did a 12h/daily search and lost almost 2kg during this week :lol:
That's the big plus being alone - nothing to do than searching! I only spend 2 hours at the beach...

I found all under stones. Especially bigger ones that were difficult to flip by myself or inside rock piles (maybe due to the weather?).
I tried to place all stones back to their position especially in the places that looked undisturbed. Well, some rock piles collapsed unfortunately so it was impossible to place all stones again. But I treid to work as gently as possible.

Regards,
Mario
Mario Riedling

Hometown: Pfinztal

Return to Italy and Malta