Small trip to come

Small trip to come

Postby Alexandre Roux » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:43 am

Hi guys,

I'm sorry I'm a bit busy with field work these days so I haven't had so much time to come here and read your topics. :oops:

Anyway, I was supposed to go to Montenegro in a few days but, has I found a job (and one of my field trip friend did too) I wasn't able to have a few days off to go that far, I managed to take 5 days from the 4th of May to the 8th !
I spoke about it with one of my friend who was supposed to come with me in Montenegro and he said: "Why not going to Italy and try to find some nice looking species such as E.quatorlineata, V.ammodytes or Z.situla ?"

That's why I finally planned to go to Italy !

If some of you want to share with me some great ideas (places to come, things to do and things/places to eat/sleep) I will be really gratefull.

Too bad I didn't wait for the Jeroen's and Bobby's field guide to be out. That will be for the next trip ! (Montenegro in Automn maybe).

Thanks a lot and I hope I'll hear from you soon !
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Re: Small trip to come

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:45 am

Well, I have never seen any of those 3 species in Italy, so I'm afraid I cannot provide a lot of help. If you'd ask me where to go to see them, I'd definitely prefer Montenegro. :?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:42 am

4 lineata isnt rare at the Italian peninsula (south of the river Arno).
Good places are the hills close to the sea (westcoast) between Piombino and Orbitello (Tuscany) as well as the western coastal hills in Calabria (also Z. lineatus there) - own experience.
For Z. situla you have to go to Apulia (never found one there).
Ammodytes in Italy (at least the Bolzano populations ["ruffoi"] will be kept very secret (by me too :roll: )

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Alexandre Roux » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:00 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:4 lineata isnt rare at the Italian peninsula (south of the river Arno).
Good places are the hills close to the sea (westcoast) between Piombino and Orbitello (Tuscany) as well as the western coastal hills in Calabria (also Z. lineatus there) - own experience.
For Z. situla you have to go to Apulia (never found one there).
Ammodytes in Italy (at least the Bolzano populations ["ruffoi"] will be kept very secret (by me too :roll: )

Mario

Thanks for the answer !

Well, these species are our objectives but that is more like "go there and see what we can find" than "let's find these 3 species". So if we don't have a great spot for it, it won't be dramatic ;)
Of course, I'm not the kind of guy to reject good informations !

I'm confident on my chances to find V.ammodytes in Montenegro later in the year or within the next year so if I don't find it in Italy, that's not a problem. Moreover, I've already seen it in Romania, contrary to the 2 other species !

Thanks a lot and of course, I'll keep you updated.
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Return to Italy and Malta