Sardinia 2016 July

Sardinia 2016 July

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:53 am

Hello
I'm now in Badesi on Sardinia. My primary goals for this trip are all 5 Spelomantes sp., 2 species of skinks, Hyla sarda, Euproctus platycephalus and Discoglossus sardus. Could any of you give me coordinates for the Spelomantes caves where you found these salamanders and for the newt? I will appreciate other spots for herptiles despite the fact that skinks, H. sarda and D. sardus are rather common I think. How can I differentiate between H. turcicus and E. europaea? Could you give me coordinates for herpspots in the neighbourhood of Badesi? On maps from Jeroen's blog I can see that some users were herping there- Santa Teressa Di Gallura, quarry with Hyla sarda and so on. Did anyone try to access islands with subspecies of Podarcis tiliguerta? So far I found H. viridiflavus, Algyroides fitzingeri, Tarentola mauritanica, Podarcis tiliguerta, E. orbicularis and Chalcides occelatus. I promise to deliver all the interesting photos but I have no wire for my dslr with me.
Greetings from Italy!
Michał Szkudlarek
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Re: Sardinia 2016 July

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:13 am

I've shared what I am comfortable sharing via PM.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:27 pm

Will playing mating calls of Hyla sarda make them produce these calls? Today I was looking for them and found "only" Natrix maura.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:24 pm

Today I found Archaeolacerta bedriagae and Trachemys scripta scripta. How can I distinguish Podarcis siculus siculus from Podarcis tilituerta tilituerta? How to identify Euleptes europaea without catching it to check underside of legs?
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Regarding species which I saw today for the first time on Sardinia- adult Pelophylax ridibundus.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:55 pm

Today I photographed some Pelophylax specimens without catching them and I would like to know how to distinguish between Pelophylax bergeri and Pelophylax ridibundus.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:42 pm

I am in Alghero for next four days. Today in early afternoon I was looking for herptiles by Stagno di Calich and I found only Podarcis. Water in there seems to be brackish. At what distance call of Hyla sarda is audible? I live near Stagno di Calich and I do not hear any herptiles. I would greatly appreciate herpspots in north-west of Sardinia.

I will probably buy this book but I need info now- shipping takes some time. Btw are there any practical herping tips included?
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:23 pm

Yesterday I found some Hyla sarda calling by shallow water in a building site and 2 Chalcides occelatus but still no Chalcides chalcides. I found only one pair of H. sarda in amplexus and it perplexed me why there is such a disproportion male to female among amphibians. Any ideas? One male can fertilize many females and one female usually can have eggs only with one male. Would not it be better for a population to have a breeding tank with 20 females and 1 male instead of 20 males and 1 female? Today I was looking for Testudo hermani in dunes but did not find them. Tomorrow I'm off to Dorgali- I will be grateful for protips and locations.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:34 pm

How to find those Discoglossus sardus? :/
Edit: i found one reddish specimen in a cave :)
Michal Szkudlarek

Next

Return to Italy and Malta