NW Italy - Tuscany, Liguria & Piemont 2017

Re: NW Italy - Tuscany, Liguria & Piemont 2017

Postby Markus Oulehla » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:41 pm

Wow. Markus, this looks like an incredibly successful trip. Congrats! Is there anything that you wanted to see and that you didn't find?

It really was Thomas, far more succesful than I imagined before!
And sure we also missed a few species, frogs, Malpolon in west of Liguria, also no N. tessellata and Z. longissimus, but we've been busy enough with our finds, so we really can not complain... :lol:

As for the turcicus, I would have preferred to photograph it without direct sunlight because I assume that it has been flipped. By the way: Does anybody ever have seen turcicus out by daylight?

I'm not sure with the turcicus anymore, we have seen several geckos basking in the morning and I don't think all of them were Tarentola... Maybe Kai rembers?
Of course we have seen both of them at night too!

On we go with some more pictures from the Piemont-area:
after cruising around on some narrow streets (again) and a bit of hiking through really nice alpine habitat we came across the first herps...
Coronella austriaca by Markus Oulehla, auf
Flickr

Coronella austriaca by Markus Oulehla, auf Flickr

Like in the last days wind came up again and brought some clouds, so not the best weather to enjoy basking... we move on trying to reach another montainside, what turned out to be the right choice :D
Kai found this little guy on it's way home from breakfast...
Vipera walser by Markus Oulehla, auf Flickr

sun came out again....

Last day and to make the loong way home a bit more enjoyable we stopped in south tyrol, met a friend of mine and went out to look for (actually ammodytes, but as we didn't find them lets generally say) snakes :lol:

beside a nice brown whip snake and a young smooth snake we found this black grass snake, pretty cool :D

ImageNatrix natrix by Markus Oulehla, auf Flickr

also the wall lizards were really curios and I could get quite close...
Podarcis muralis muralis by Markus Oulehla, auf Flickr

On my way through the slopes, a butterfly followed me for a while always I moved on he came after me, landing on a flower right in front, so after the third time I took a picture of it, which is a nice end for my report here, I think :)
Iphiclides podalirius by Markus Oulehla, auf Flickr

Hope you enjoy the pictures!

regards
Markus
Markus Oulehla

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Kai Kolodziej » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

Hi Markus,
sure I remember this H. turcicus was flipped. We saw many geckos escaping and I can remember at least one of them was a H. turcicus (it escaped under a stone and was then flipped, so I sure of the species). But in general Thomas is right and trucicus is seldome seen during daylight.

We missed Hyla intermedia, Hyla meridionalis, Discoglossus sardus, Bombina variegata (pachypus), Vipera ammodytes (ruffoi), Natrix tesselatta and Zamenis longissimus, moreover we didn't see a Vipera aspis (atra) at the Piemont.
But really we can not complain, and if we would your girls would kill us ;)

cheers Kai
Kai Kolodziej

Hometown: Perchtoldsdorf

Postby GertJan Verspui » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm

Great trip guys, you found lots of good herps! To bad you were a bit later in walser land, otherwise we could have teamed up!
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Previous

Return to Italy and Malta