Fieldherping with crotalus near Rome

Fieldherping with crotalus near Rome

Postby Francesco Tri » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:27 pm

And now ... they are three!
Some stupid have issued Crotali in a pine forest of Castel Fusano, near Rome!

http://www3.corpoforestale.it/flex/cm/p ... agina/1480
Francesco Tri

Hometown: BARI ITALY

Re: Fieldherping with crotalus near Rome

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:56 am

Perhaps you can post a short summary in english (or an english link); my italian is nonexistent.. :roll:
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:07 am

Horrible!!!!
I love to see rattlesnakes in the nature, but in the area where they belong (America) and not in the woods around Roma!!!!!!
Where all three western diamondbacks (crotalus atrox)???
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:58 am

Here is an english translation, made with "ImTranslator 3.2", an AddOn for FireFox.

"Another rattlesnake, a rare species with poisonous bite, was captured in recent days in the pine forest of Castelfusano in Ostia, by a patrol of officers of the State Forestry Service in the area. This is the second discovery of Crotalus atrox in a few days at the gates of Rome, a fact attributable to the difficult case on which investigators are now investigating the Forest Service Cites. The reptile was spotted Sunday morning by a couple of young bikers, not far away from the villa of Pliny, the area where was found the first specimen. The subsequent search and arrest are the result of coordination between the personnel of CITES and that of the Command Station Host of the State Forestry Corps. Among the cases currently under review by the Forest Service, which is investigating the mandate of the Public Prosecutor of Rome, there is one that this specimen, like the preceding, may have been unfortunately abandoned by a single entity or, even more alarming situation, the rattlesnake could be part of a brood. The animal, roughly the same size as the previous one, or about 140 centimeters, had recently fed a hunted prey in the pine forest, evidence of its adaptability to the environment in which it was issued. The area of discovery continues to be monitored by Forest for reasons of public safety, given the extreme danger of the species. The bite of the rattlesnake, in fact, can be lethal if nothing is done immediately with the administration of an antivenin serum, but that is hardly available in our country. The Forest Service invites whoever happened to spot examples of this type to call the 1515, the number of environmental problem in the State Forestry Corps. The rattlesnake, which can reach six feet long and 7 cm in pounds, has long teeth of the poison and retractable cable that can sometimes become caught in the body of the victim. The Crotalus atrox, which feeds on rodents and other small mammals like birds, fishes, amphibians and other reptiles, they need to get food every two to three weeks."

In Austria we mostly find released or escaped Pantherophis guttatus (corn snake) or Lampropeltis sp. (king snake).
But, before about 2 years, a 120 cm long Macrovipera lebetina turanica was found in SW Carinthia, in a famous spot for Vipera ammodytes.
Crazy people - they have to be jailed - releasing very dangerous snakes into the wild.
They dont think, what may happen, if someone gets bitten and doesn´t recognize the snake. In hospital they wouldnt know which antivenin to use!!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Francesco Tri » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:09 am

Mario (thank you for the translation) are perfectly agree with you: this is people who have to be imprisoned!!
Except then the damage and death can result, due largely to a shift in public opinion one disagreement with those who study or possess legally reptiles, with the creation of prohibitionist laws completely!
Francesco Tri

Hometown: BARI ITALY

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:25 pm

When I saw the title..I was like 'What the f@#k!!!' I agree with both Mario and Francesco..in fact nothing good can come out of this,besides that someone may get hurt,and that people who proparly care for their legal reptiles may suffer from this,also the native fauna could suffer! Either people who intentionally release such animals in the wild,or those who let them escape..both are really dumb asses! I mean..if you got snakes in a terrarium - KEEP IT SECURLY CLOSED!!! That's the first rule!Snakes are masters of escape! But unfortunately some people will never learn!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Mladen Zadravec » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Definitely horrible! Are the 3 rattlers going to be put own or housed somewhere?

The only escaped non native snake here (that I know of) was found this year on an ATM machine, I think somewhere on the coast. It was a Ball python...
Those idiots that don't keep their pets securely should definitely be thrown in jail. And they need to be reeducated and not let out until they learn why releasing the snake/letting it escape was a very stupid idea. I'm always appalled when I read on forums "my snake escaped for the 5th, 6th time, from the same cage...". You'd think nobody could be that stupid and not figure out that something is definitely wrong, but obviously it's possible...
Mladen Zadravec

Hometown: Zagreb

Return to Italy and Malta