Corsica & Sardinia 2011

Re: Corsica & Sardinia 2011

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed May 11, 2011 3:23 pm

Thanks, everyone!!!

I wouldn't have minded to (also!) find a more usual Natrix natrix cetti, but this one was for sure a very nice individual. BTW, Frank is still on the islands until the 15th; he texted me that he found a second one in the same area. I am very anxious to see his pics.

It was very cool to see the 2 Discoglossus syntopically, to find 3 species of tortoises, to get rain when we needed it (for the beautiful Salamandra corsica), and -more in general- to find time after time exactly what we wanted to find. That's why I just love these islands. I guess the snake lovers would disagree, but the beauty of both grass snake subspecies definitely does the trick for me. I could go there each year, albeit rather without the car trouble next time...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Wed May 11, 2011 3:39 pm

I would never have thought an european islands could be so amazing (just Milos). I love all in the trip except the omnipresent Natrix maura :lol:
Natrix natrix ssp are incredible. The design in the endemic tree frogs. The room full of Speleomantes. Nice...

Congrats to Jeroen, Bobby and all the team
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed May 11, 2011 3:50 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:the omnipresent Natrix maura

Spending more time in the pristine hills of Sardinia, we didn't even find more than a handful. To a "clade-level twitcher" like me, this is even interesting, because this is the only place in Europe where the Tunesian clade occurs :mrgreen:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed May 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Thanks, everyone!!!

I wouldn't have minded to (also!) find a more usual Natrix natrix cetti, but this one was for sure a very nice individual. BTW, Frank is still on the islands until the 15th; he texted me that he found a second one in the same area. I am very anxious to see his pics.

I guess the snake lovers would disagree, but the beauty of both grass snake subspecies definitely does the trick for me.

I was at Sardinia the frist and only time in 2008 and was very happy to find all three Testudo species, but I missed the big goal, Natrix cetti.
I think if you find the Natrix n. cetti, it`s not neccessery to find anything more!! Sardinia is always worth visiting.
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Wed May 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Gabriel Martínez wrote:the omnipresent Natrix maura

Spending more time in the pristine hills of Sardinia, we didn't even find more than a handful. To a "clade-level twitcher" like me, this is even interesting, because this is the only place in Europe where the Tunesian clade occurs :mrgreen:

:shock: You are too professional Jeroen.

I think you move the clouds with some trick, or you have a magic radar to find species :lol:

Congrats again

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:I think if you find the Natrix n. cetti, it`s not neccessery to find anything more!!

Totally agree with Jurgen. I would do one trip just for one of this strange Natrix.
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu May 12, 2011 12:52 am

Gabriel Martínez wrote:a magic radar

No, no, no, just a bunch of willing slaves :twisted:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu May 12, 2011 8:25 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Gabriel Martínez wrote:a magic radar

No, no, no, just a bunch of willing slaves :twisted:

Can't deny that :(
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu May 12, 2011 9:38 am

Don't be so " :( ", you wouldn't want it any other way :lol:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu May 12, 2011 9:50 am

hehehe don´t worry Bobby, it must be a pleasure to be a slave if you find so many species ;)

About one of the species, I´ve read this: "nice Viperine Snake (Natrix maura) with typical ocelli". These ocells are typical of the Tunissian clade?? Last octuber we found a Natrix maura in La Mamora forest (Kenitra, Morocco), very similar to your individual. And following Barata et al. 2008 this specimen belongs to the Morocco clade I (different to the eastern Morocco-Algerian clade close to the Tunissian clade). I guess this species is very variable. In Morocco sometimes we´ve found specimens with ocells, but it´s not very common, maybe common in Tunissia and Sardinia?
8. extra Natrix maura.jpg
8. extra Natrix maura.jpg (290.25 KiB) Viewed 5139 times
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu May 12, 2011 10:20 am

I don't really know for sure...
I thought I read or heard that the Tunesian clade has it often (or maybe usually, regularly, most of the time, ...), but it surely occurs also in Europe. The small number of Sardinian individuals that I have seen over my 4 trips all had it, if I remember well.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Italy and Malta