Short trip to SE Spain

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Short trip to SE Spain

Postby miguel santos » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:52 pm

Here is a report of a short trip with a lot of emphasis on the Podarcis family in Spain. I grew up in Portugal with Podarcis virescens ( P. hispanicus in those days ) crawling up even into my sleeping room, in the last few years I became more and more interested in that little lizard that somehow looked diferent in different areas of Portugal and Spain. With the development of DNA research and the publication in 2011 of Kalintzopoulou ’s study of genetic lineages I decided to see for myself how those species or subspecies looked like. Specially the newly discovered lineages : P. hispanicus Albacete-Murcia and the P. vaucheri South Central Spain.
I was in Portugal during the first 2 weeks of October and I planned a 4 days trip to the area of the Sierras de Cazorla Y Segura. I had never been there before and there was a lot to discover. I took a map and a list of B&B in the area and decided on the spot where to go next.
The trip developed as such :
Day 1 - Lisbon to Riopar. 11 hours on the road with a few stops arround Linares ( and before to rest )
Day 2 - Area of Molinicos, Riopar and crossed the Sierras towards Baza
Day 3 - Crossed the Sierra de Baza ( cloudy ), La Calahorra and Alcalá la Real
Day 4 - Jaén ( visited a few parks in the morning ) and left at 12:30 for a 8 hour drive back to Lisbon
I had a few challenges to deal with: The mornings were rather chill 8/9 degrees with few activity before 11:00; At the Nacimiento del Rio Mundo and a few other places the sun was quite low and few rocks were exposed to the sun; I wanted to drive with daylight because I was alone and the distances were long.
I am quite pleased with what I saw, the area is very beautyfull, I took a few good pictures and I saw some new species/subspecies for me.
The pictures I present start with a compilation of P. virescens from several populations I saw in Spain. I then move to the P. hispanicus Albacete-Murcia, P. hispanicus “sensu stricto”, P. hispanicus galera, P. vaucheri South Central Spain, later I’ll place later some pictures from a few other species seen during this 4 days. All pictures are in situ except the very last one of the "non" Podarcis series.
I will probably go back one day the the Riopar area, as Gabriel mentioned on a diferent post, it is worth a ( longer ) visit.
Please give me all the feadback you have, I am only now starting to explore that area.
I hope you enjoy it, Miguel
Attachments
13bz.jpg
This Padarcis virescens from a Park in Baeza looks familiar to me.
13bz.jpg (272.91 KiB) Viewed 9163 times
14 II.jpg
This Male and the next from the Sierra de Segura nearby Hornos also look familiar to those in the Lisbon Area.
14 II.jpg (266.19 KiB) Viewed 9163 times
14s II.jpg
14s II.jpg (236.62 KiB) Viewed 9163 times
24m II.jpg
P. virescens ? from the road leading to the Nascimiento del rio Mundo. Somehow this specimen looks funny to me. The nose looks too long and the head too compressed! could this be a P. h. ss?
24m II.jpg (240.37 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
15a II.jpg
This light brown male and the next 5 pics come from one single location in Andujár. All pictures were taken in a section of about 10m of an old bridge. I saw at least 7 animals and the variaty of patterns was quite big.
15a II.jpg (250.22 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
16a II.jpg
Dank brown male with a rather long tail.
16a II.jpg (211.85 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
17a.jpg
Another long tale.
17a.jpg (316.14 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
18a II.jpg
Female with familiar looking pattern
18a II.jpg (161.4 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
21a II.jpg
Female with a uniform brown color.
21a II.jpg (176.18 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
22a II.jpg
Albino???? Male??? I never saw one like this before.
22a II.jpg (135.21 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
26l II.jpg
P. hispanicus Albacete-Murcia in Las Ánimas (East of Riopar) with dots on the sides.
26l II.jpg (298.61 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
27m II.jpg
Juvenile in Las Ánimas without dots on the black lateral band.
27m II.jpg (313.31 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
28m II.jpg
Juvenile in Molinicos without dots on the black lateral band.
28m II.jpg (263.05 KiB) Viewed 9165 times
29m II.jpg
One with dots.
29m II.jpg (212.38 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
32m II.jpg
Head of the only adult I saw. It is a light brownish female.
32m II.jpg (194.52 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
33c1.jpg
This one and the next pictures were taken in the castle of La Calahorra., where I found a beautiful population of P. hispanicus “sensu stricto”.
33c1.jpg (313.05 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
35c2 II.jpg
Animal nr. 2 with a very long tale.
35c2 II.jpg (287.68 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
38c4.jpg
Animal nr. 3
38c4.jpg (233.74 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
40g1.jpg
Sub-adult P. hispanicus galera in the Northern flancs of Sierra de Baza not far from Caniles.
40g1.jpg (251.41 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
42j1.jpg
Adult P. vaucheri South Central Spain in Jaén. Male of female?
44j2.jpg
Adult nr. 2. Female.
45j3.jpg
Female with a uniform green color.
45j3.jpg (243.02 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
47j4 II.jpg
As I was about to leave I saw this beautiful male.
49al1.jpg
I saw no juveniles in Jaén but saw 2 In Alcalá la Real. Both in the shade in a small park. And very, very shy.
49al1.jpg (251.18 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
51al2.jpg
Juvenile nr.2 with a uniform color. Not a good picture but that was all I could get.
51al2.jpg (239.52 KiB) Viewed 9168 times
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Re: Short trip to SE Spain

Postby miguel santos » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:35 pm

I ended up having the pictures ready, therefore here are the Non Podarcis pictures
Attachments
52.jpg
Moorish gecko In Baeza.
52.jpg (269.6 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
53.jpg
Spanish Algyroides. To the East of Riopar along the road. This was a new species to me. 
53.jpg (268.49 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
54.jpg
Close up.
54.jpg (174.38 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
55.jpg
Female Occelated lizard, not far form the Nacimiento del Rio Mundo.
55.jpg (263.38 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
56.jpg
Female nr. 2 from the same location as the previous. I saw in this location 4 adults and 1 juvenile.
56.jpg (278.15 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
58.jpg
Juvenile Occelated lizard basking in the late afternoon sun on a parking area to the South of Segura. I also saw one adult further South on an other parking area.
58.jpg (155.44 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
59.jpg
Bedriaga’s skink. Southern flanks of the Sierra de Baza. This animal is not in situ. I found him under a slate of schist.
59.jpg (315.87 KiB) Viewed 9160 times
miguel santos

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:00 pm

And not a single snake, if only just to satisfy/silence us, the wretched, perverse minority (?)...?!
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby miguel santos » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:12 pm

Dear Berislav,
I was also surprised that I only saw one skin shed of a Horseshoe snake in La Calahorra. But there was plenty food arround.
I also saw 2 short-toed snake eagles. they were out and about but I did not invest much time on searching.
Maybe I can post two pics from Portugal, not from these 4 days. ;)
miguel santos

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:25 pm

miguel santos wrote:Maybe I can post two pics from Portugal, not from these 4 days. ;)

Never mind the trouble, since we - the true snake-lovers - are actually not so "talibanic" as some of the
"animals-with-legs-lovers" might suspect of us... On the contrary, we're quite decent, unobtrusive, mild,
gentle, full of understanding... (for all those who can not find a snake, damn them!)
(May I repeatedly stress that I intentionally refrain from using "smilies" to make clear what's meant as a
joke, and what not. Thank you.)
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby miguel santos » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:23 pm

You are right, We don't need smilies to emphasize sentences or phrases. I like to see all kinds of animals and photograph them. Any way, snakes are for me those that stay the longest in my mind. I understand your passion for them.
miguel santos

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:19 am

Hi Miguel,
amazing! We really did almost the same trip... But it was worth it.
Your report, my shots (and other like those from Thomas Reich) give a picture about the sitution in SE-Spain. And it turns out to be less complicated as it can be supposed by the DNA analyses: The existence of different mtDNA clades doesn't necessarily mean that the existing taxonomy by Geniez/Renoult etc. has to be changed - actually, I do not expect new (sub-)species to be described.

I like the shot from Nacimiento del Mundo - I didn't find these lizards there. I agree, they are the mtDNA clade called P. h. sensu stricto. But I think they are basically P. liolepis. We now know locations for this species from Albacete, Murcia, Jaen and Granada provinces.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby miguel santos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:25 am

Hi Peter,
I agree with you Peter, it was worth it even if I missed the adults from the Albacete-Murcia clade. What I found fascinationg was to see the diversity within 20km or a 30 minutes drive. Where is the border and what causes it? Climate is the major factor (I think) limiting the range of P. virescens and P. guadarramae in Western Iberia but I wonder if the same applies in the East. I saw P. virescens in Sierra de Segura at 1070 m, the P. hispanicus S.S. on the road next the the Parking plane at Nacimiento del Mundo was at 1090 m. But the landscape was very different. Pine trees and a dry soil where I saw The p. virescens and a humid valley in the Nacimiente del Mundo.
Maybe that explains why the P. hispanicus s.s. is present there.
Also the competition between well stablished populations limit the expansion of both clades like the P. virescens and the Albacete-Murcia to the East of Riopar? Interesthing stuff.
Also the P. hispanicus s.s. in La Calahorra is just above 1200m. Do they perfere cooler temperatures ?
miguel santos

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:35 am

Don't care about Albacete Murcia type - it doesn't differ from Galera type...
About climate barriers, I agree:
The hispanicus sensu stricto clade in that area has a strong preference for humid forested mountain habitats. In contrast to this, the adjoining Galera type tolerates very dry habitats. P. virescens avoids very dry habitats which probably limits its expansion in SE Spain.

Btw: The hispanicus sensu stricto from Rio Mundo is not the same as the ones from Calahorra. Maybe you were confused by the different meanings of hispanicus sensu stricto at Geniez and Kaliontzopoulou...
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby miguel santos » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:37 am

Good that you mention it, as I was about to ask that same question....
I will get back to the literature to put my thoughts back in line.
Miguel
miguel santos

Next

Return to Iberian peninsula