Spanish trip

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Spanish trip

Postby Paul Lambourne » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Team,

I am looking an area in Spain / Portugal that would offer the highest number of potential different species in a four day period.. the area needs to be reasonably near an airport served by the UK..I am happy to drive 150K a day if necessary..

Any suggestions gratefully received..

Cheers
Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: Spanish trip

Postby Borji Heras » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:12 pm

If you have flights to Porto (north Portugal) then you should go to Peneda Geres
Borji Heras

Hometown: bilbao

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:28 am

I'm guessing the number of species you could get if you fly to Jerez de la Frontera might be hard to beat, with Doñana and Alcornocales nearby (though dickhilleni, nevadensis and marchi will probably be to far away and of course Iberolacerta and Chioglossa, schreiberi, Calotriton, seoanei and Rana iberica will be out of the picture). Maybe there's an atlas that has these maps with species number density which could settle it more clearly. What's the season you're looking at?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Paul Lambourne » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Chaps,

Thank you for your replys..

I should have known the GOEH would be all over that..

I think I will do a trip to try and tick Calotriton arnoldi, and then whatever else is doable in the general area for three or four days in June, and then an October ish trip to the Spanish/Portugese northern border area for four or five days.. any starting locations gratefully received..

Cheers Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Return to Iberian peninsula