Tips for field herping around Malaga

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Tips for field herping around Malaga

Postby Jan Grathwohl » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:59 pm

Hi

I'm going to Benalmádena Pueblo just outside Malaga from the 19. july and three weeks forward.

I know its not the optimal time of year to look for amphibians and reptiles - but maybe some of you might know of spots of interest anyhow? It will have to be near to were i stay - or at least short distance, as i will probably not have access to a car.

Any information and advice would be highly appreciated :)
Kind regards

Jan Grathwohl
www.grathwohl.dk
Jan Grathwohl

Hometown: Naestved

Re: Tips for field herping around Malaga

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:38 pm

In garden next to library of Fuengirola ( Calle Victoria, 1, 29640 Fuengirola ) I spotted Pelophylax perezi, Tarentola mauritanica mauritanica and Podarcis vaucheri . Near "Parque Fluvial" there were M. leprosa together with alien sweetwater turtles and Natrix maura.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:01 pm

Jan

In Mijas local, you should easily find Corenella girondica, Rhinechis scalaris, vaucheri, bufo, psammodromus algiris/hispanicus

Cheers

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Ray Hamilton » Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Try Guadalmar Nature Reserve, on the coast to the west of Malaga, it's close to Malaga airport and can be accessed by public transport. It is a small coastal reserve with some great nature watching opportunities.
The lakes are home to Mauremys leprosa and the boulders installed as flood defence along the river are great basking spots for hemorrhois hippocrepis and tarentola mauritanica. Malpolon also present and Rhinechis scalaris. Good hunting.
Ray Hamilton

Hometown: Bournemouth

Postby Ruggero M. » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:40 am

The tip I can give is not where, but when: because south Spain in summer is like a crematory (or like a desert, if you prefer), you must try, for snakes, night tours with a good torch!

I went there in july-august many years ago, and, during the day, there was absolutely no snake to find... Unfortunately we didn't try herp tours during the night. :oops:
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Jan Grathwohl » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks a lot for you advice :)

The time is unfortunately not chosen by will, so i have to go in the hottest part of year. I just have to hope to be able to find something (i will be under treatment in a recreational hospital after a hip surgery, and i guess there will be some rules as to when we can leave the facility - but i will see what i can figure out).

Coronella, hippocrepis and Psammodromus would be nice finds for me - so i will try to see what i can find :)
Kind regards

Jan Grathwohl
www.grathwohl.dk
Jan Grathwohl

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:18 pm

Even I have found one Psammodromus algirus algirus near river bank in Fuengirola (Arrabal Sup R7-Indust Lagunas, 15, Mijas, Málaga, Spain), they were also present in hills south of Fuengirola. I think you will photograph this species too.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jan Grathwohl » Wed Jul 02, 2014 1:44 pm

Thanks a lot Mikael :)
Kind regards

Jan Grathwohl
www.grathwohl.dk
Jan Grathwohl

Return to Iberian peninsula