Southern Spain herping

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Southern Spain herping

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:54 am

Hi all,

I'm going herping with a friend in the end of august/ beginning of september and we'll be arriving in Malaga. Do you guys have some tips in terms of herping spots, good nature reserves to visit? High on our list are: V. latastei, mediterrarian chameleon, Malpolon and Rhinechis.

Cheers,
Pablo
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Re: Southern Spain herping

Postby Martti Niskanen » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 am

Pablo Deschepper wrote:I'm going herping with a friend in the end of august/ beginning of september and we'll be arriving in Malaga. Do you guys have some tips in terms of herping spots, good nature reserves to visit? High on our list are: V. latastei, mediterrarian chameleon, Malpolon and Rhinechis.

As a herper, you probably know you'll unlikely to get any specific locations, especially as this is your first post on the forum. You'll find out where to find the chameleons if you do a bit of research on the web. West of Malaga, Doñana np. is always worth a visit. Stop in Sevilla on the way for some culture and fantastic food.

Regarding V. latastei: They are extremely hard to find even in known locations, so don't get your hopes up.

There are several field herping sites that host field reports, including this one. Sorry, not very helpful, but you know how this works. Good luck and enjoy Andalucia.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:35 am

Yes I know I won't get exact locations, and that's a good thing :).. But just some general tips for herping in southern Spain are welcome. Maybe some nature reserves worth visiting ? We are defenitely going to Sierra de Tejeda :) And how successfull is herping with flashlights when in gets dark in the region?
Pablo Deschepper

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:34 am

Hi Pablo,

In Malaga Vipera latastei it´s difficult to be found. Maybe you can find it in mountain hábitat (900-1500m), but it´s difficult.

Rhinechis and Malpolon are very common, almost in everywhere! (I am pretty sure that around agriculture fields you can find them, with Hemorrhois hippocrepis)

Malaga is one of the best places in Spain to see chamaleon (in theory). In the past (maybe still now), even there was some populations in Malaga city. There are many studies about this species in Malaga. If you search a bit, you can find more exactly places ;)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll share some pictures afterwards ;)
Pablo Deschepper

Postby Martti Niskanen » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:16 am

Pablo Deschepper wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'll share some pictures afterwards ;)

Please do. Night time is of course best for amphibians.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Return to Iberian peninsula