Spain, spring 2015?

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Re: Spain, spring 2015?

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi Kristian,

Mid-april to Mid-may is the best moment for most reptiles in southern Spain. Like you are telling, when the ground is too hot, Blanus dissapear in the deepest parts of the holes, so the best moment, when you flip stones and it´s very easy to find many Blanus it´s maybe middle april. Later, probably when you flip large flat stones, you will find Macroprotodon (in the same stones where Blanus was some weeks ago). Both Blanus are VERY common. In loose soil areas, it´s very easy to find them

About chamaleons, there are many articles with villages typical of them. You only need to search a bit in Google...

If you find a latastei in Andalussia, please share the photo in the forum. In the biggest part of Andalussia, latastei are very rare (except mountain and some few coastal places). If you need more info, I highly recommend to contact my friend Juan Pablo Gonzalez de la Vega. He is probably the person with more knowledge of Andalussian herpetofauna

http://anfibios-reptiles-andalucia.org/ ... nglish.htm ;)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Let me add that finding adults of Discoglossus, Alytes, Pelobates, and (maybe especially) Pelodytes can be relatively hard (but not impossible) in spring in Andalucia. In my limited experience, Andalucia is one of the more difficult areas in Europe to combine reptiles and amphibians in one trip if you want to aim for a maximal species list. Note that this combination is however much harder in many areas outside Europe. In short, amphibians in Andalucia are overall optimally found in winter, when it's wet(!!!) and not too cold. But I don't live there, so I might be overextrapolating from my own travels and those I know of.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:25 pm

So given that I have very limited time on my hands, if I go to Andalucia I guess I should go early, focus on amphibians and consider reptiles "bycatch" or go late, focus on reptiles and consider amphibians bycatch?

Gabri: Thanks for the tips and link :)
With so little time and so many common species I haven't seen I probably won't search much for the more "difficult" species. I'll make sure to write a trip report and share my photos regardless what I find, though ;)
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:So given that I have very limited time on my hands, if I go to Andalucia I guess I should go early, focus on amphibians and consider reptiles "bycatch" or go late, focus on reptiles and consider amphibians bycatch?

Well, maybe, and by doing so you'll probably be pleased that the bycatch is more than one or two species ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Kristian Bell » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:02 am

Hi Kristian,

Not sure where you are at with planning this trip but I am considering going to Andalucia between 21st -25th March if you wanted to join me? I have transport and accommodation and some local knowledge, though I have always been to the area at terrible times (July-August) and have seen almost nothing every time other than Natrix maura, podarcis, timon and chameleo.

Cheers, Kristian
Kristian Bell

Hometown: St. Helier

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Kristian Bell wrote:Hi Kristian,

Not sure where you are at with planning this trip but I am considering going to Andalucia between 21st -25th March if you wanted to join me? I have transport and accommodation and some local knowledge, though I have always been to the area at terrible times (July-August) and have seen almost nothing every time other than Natrix maura, podarcis, timon and chameleo.

Cheers, Kristian

Sent you a pm
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Previous

Return to Iberian peninsula