Montseny, quick and dirty style

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Montseny, quick and dirty style

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sat May 09, 2015 8:22 pm

After returning to dear old Blighty from my Christmas jaunt with the usual suspects, It dawned on me that my anorexically small tick list had reached 149 euro species.. so I began dwelling on what would make an appropriate 150th tick. After many hours of deliberation I settled on possibly Europe’s most endangered tailed amphibian.. Carlotriton arnoldi. As I have a number of trips planned for this year, I decided on a quick and dirty three day trip to South East Spain. Bobby tells me quick and dirty is the best way for every situation. Sadly my usual Euro herping chums were already on herping adventures outside Europe, as their lists, leave and bank balances are far greater than mine.. but I was lucky enough to have the company of some British listers and the young bull from Holland.. Sjeord. Who had flown home from his Morocco adventure with Gert Jan and Frank, changed his pants, had some horizontal refreshment with his latest special friend and hopped back on a plane to Spain the same day.. legend!

The day before we were due to leave I fell whilst climbing at my local climbing wall and hurt my lower back.. rest and no exercise was proscribed.. bugger that, I gagged some pain killers and on a chilly morning last week, myself , Trevor Willis, a fine photographer and possibly the most stressed man on the planet, Sean Cole, the notable UK Birder and orchid top boy and his lovely fiancé Trudi all met at Gatwick airport for a short plane ride to sunny Barcelona. We landed at the airport and in no time cleared customs, expecting to see the happy chubby face of Sjeord awaiting us.. Sjeord a highly trained military individual had gone to the wrong terminal.. he claimed later that he was tired from his Morocco trip, as he had to find all the animals for Gert Jan and Frank etc.. this was to be a reoccurring theme ..

We packed the hire car, an art in itself.. described as an estate.. in much the same way an estate agent selling a house in Syria might say the area has a lively night life.. we drove straight to the very small geographical distribution site for the Montseny brook newt. We uncurled ourselves from the tiny car and set about searching amidst the stunning alpine scenery of the Montseny mountains. The weather was pleasantly hot, and we had at least three days to search the area for this much wanted amphibian. The mountain streams were all but dried up, being mere trickles some 30 cms wide..

copy2.jpg

copy3.jpg

I started searching a small stream bed, largely dried up, with a few small pools remaining, after sliding down the steep sides on my behind for too many meters. In the first pool, I moved a flat rock and found five arnoldi efts… a tick in under ten minutes.. number 150! at the same time Sean who had been searching further up stream hollered that he had found an adult. To say we were stoked is an understatement.. Sjeord and Trev had also found efts in another small stream. We photographed and released the newts and then realised we had a great deal of time left to find other species.

076 copy.jpg

062.JPG

073 copy.jpg

071 copy.jpg

063 copy.jpg

016 copy.jpg

We flipped in an area of open land and saw a number of wall lizards, the general feeling being these were mauralis not leolepis and some fragilis.

074.JPG

After a hot hour or so we constricted ourselves back into our car, so nice when you have a bad back, and headed for our accommodation to dump the bags and make further plans. On arrival in the little town square it dawned on us that Spain goes to sleep for much of the afternoon.. everything was shut.. not a tea to be had for love nor money. Eventually we found a small corner shop open and the vertically and hearing challenged owner seemed exceptionally happy with the amount of water, fruit and cake we purchased from him. After a while we found our accommodation, dropped our bags, drank coffee and searched google earth for suitable habitat nearby.. what did herpers do before I phones ??? Mario? Jurgen?

We headed for a riverside area close to the hotel and within minutes Sjeord had found a lovely pair of fragilis, and a few minutes later a juvenile natrix maura. Sean found an adult a few moments later. We continued further into the area and Sean found a lovely toad under a boulder.. I presume given the area it must be spinosus but it looked more bufo bufo to me. After a pleasant couple of hours we returned to the acomm,

085 copy.jpg

086.JPG

092 copy.jpg

094 copy.jpg

We had a quick clean up, dinner and a beer and decided what our nocturnal plans would be.. Trudi and Sean decided to call it a night .. something about tummy rubbing? So Sjeord, Trev and myself jumped in the now more spacious car and headed to a known amphibian site close to the Spanish /French border.. an hour and forty mins later we were at the site.. a dune area with numerous flooded areas.. now I have been lucky enough to herp in many countries around the world, but I have never heard such a deafening frog chorus as the one that greeted us as we approached the dunes. I have never seen tree frogs in such numbers, or pelophylax.. literally thousands of frogs as far as the eye could see. It seemed that every bush, shrub and bulrush held a group of hyla meridionalis hoping to out croak one another. Our main reason for visiting the site was to find Pelobates cultripes , and both Sjeord and myself quickly found the huge tadpoles of this species. We searched for a couple of hours, sadly finding no adults, meridionalis, perezi and mauritanica were seen in large numbers. The site was within the distribution of Grafs Hybrid frog but how you tell the difference is beyond me ..Sjeord started grizzling about how tired he was and that he had carried the others in Morroco.. following Gert Jans advice I gave him some tissues and I let him nap in the car as I drove home on what is blatantly the wrong side of the road.

Up early for breakfast the next day and we were back in the car and heading for another site at higher altitude for some amphibians. On route we stopped at some suitable habitat and Sjeord found a beautiful juvenile Natrix natrix astreptophora..I was well pleased, bringing my Natrix sub species total to eight if you count natrix natrix and helvetica separately.

100 copy.jpg

At the site was a small man made pond and this had perezi and plenty of dragonflies, as well as Psammodromus algirus and bufo spinosus . We carried on, stopping briefly for a very photogenic algirus on route.

101.JPG

Eventually after driving up some very windy mountain roads in our very under powered car, we came to an alpine meadow area.. Sean was as happy as a Belgian with a sound proofed cellar as the grassland had a lot of orchid species and natural hybrids between them..

145 copy.jpg

147 copy.jpg

143 copy.jpg

144 copy.jpg

2copy.jpg

113 copy.jpg

also we had amazingly close views of the Griffon vultures enjoying the thermals from the cliff edges. In the meadow area was a small pond, very overgrown with weed and containing an introduced population of Ommatotriton ophryticus . Sean and Sjeord went into the pond and soon we had a stunning male and three females , as well as tadpoles of Alytes obstetricans almogavarii.

109 copy.jpg

111 copy.jpg

110cpy2.jpg

133 copy.jpg

103 copy.jpg

The abandoned buildings had good numbers of Podarcis leolepis

122 copy3.jpg

118 copy.jpg

120 copy.jpg

Anybody know what this is???

114 copy.jpg

We left the site as the light was fading and headed to our accommodation.. the cougar of a land lady groped me outrageously but the rooms were good.. an early night and some much needed sleep followed.. no tummy rubbing..

After a splendid breakfast and a goodbye grope we head back towards Barcelona.. Sjeord had a mid afternoon flight so we took the chance of stopping for an hour or so at some suitable habitat along the route. I found a nice mauritanicus and then Sjeord helped me flip a large rock and underneath was a splendid Rhinechis scalaris.

153 copy.jpg

167.JPG

After a quick photo session and stressful drive through Barcelona we dropped Sjeord of at the right terminal, a sad farewell, but I will be catching up with him for Dutch Herpfest in a few weeks.. I will sob into my pillow until then. The rest of team Brit had a few hours to kill and once more google earth was fantastic, identifying some great habitat about thirty mins from the airport. We arrived in the area, and spoke to two charming Spanish biologists that were surveying for various plants and pollinators.. they told us that Timon, Hemmorrhois and Vipera were found in the area and hinted to a valley close by.. the valley was very beautiful and soon we saw algirus and maurintanica and then whilst flipping rocks I found a stunning sub adult Timon, it ran at amazing speed into a bush, we surrounded the bush and it managed to run straight through Trevs legs.. no pictures but at least we all got good views of it. There was a small man made pond with perezi and some unidentified tadpoles..Sean also saw a skink, but it was too quick to catch.

171 copy.jpg

Finally we headed to the airport, Trev and I saying goodbye to Sean and Trudi.. I got home at around midnight..
A very pleasant quick and dirty trip.. a lot of species seen in a few days, four new to me and some great new sub species.

Thanks to the team for their company and looking after me with a bad back. .thanks especially to Sjeord for all the driving he did, despite being sooooo tired for being top Moroccan herper, and a huge thanks to the usual suspects for help, advice and info. You know who you are, love you guys sniff… :D

Off to France tomorrow and Holland the week after..cant wait..

Cheers

Pauli
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: Montseny, quick and dirty style

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Sat May 09, 2015 9:18 pm

Hello,

Great trip, good report!
And pleasant reading of course.
Your "special beast" is a Gryllus campestris or a neighbor species who had just molt. When they get dry, the colors looks more like we are waiting to see them...
Hope it is understable and it can help :-)

Fred
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sat May 09, 2015 10:00 pm

Thanks for the ID and kind comments Fred.

Cheers

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Sat May 09, 2015 10:06 pm

Nice report Paul, up to your usual standard :D
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun May 10, 2015 6:45 am

Paula, congrats to tick no. 150! If you continued working on your list that fast I think you will be ready in about 40 Years!

Clean the Sensor of your camera, the black dots make the Orchid- pics ugly!

I don`t need google earth, I have good eyes for herping places. Maybe that`s the reason why I found that less all the time! :(

Btw. I love the Trip report, hope we can do one more in one of these Days!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sun May 10, 2015 10:41 am

great report, Paul!
and nice pics ;)
But, on the larva I can see the typical yellow Salamandra salamandra spot at the beginning of the rear leg. I'm not so familiar with these newts, but is it really a Calotriton?
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby GertJan Verspui » Sun May 10, 2015 11:55 am

Quick & dirty.....I heard rumors about very slow and a lot of netto herping time wasted.....but good results, I did send a pack of tissues to your house for your tears because of the lower back girl talk. Man t f up.... :D
And Sjoerd was tired??? he slept twice as much as I did and he did find some nice animals, but even a 1 year old can count that far..(Sjoerd, I hope you read this)

So Pauli, whats the final EU list number now?
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Bobby Bok » Sun May 10, 2015 1:36 pm

Lovely written, stunning pictures and you are rocking that new equipment! The Ommatotriton (even tough introduced) are stunning as always and you really managed to capture them in all their glory. My shaky photographs of this species will also be online soon I hope, just came back from Trabzon...

Mario Schweiger wrote:But, on the larva I can see the typical yellow Salamandra salamandra spot at the beginning of the rear leg. I'm not so familiar with these newts, but is it really a Calotriton?

I would also say rather Salamandra...
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Neil Rowntree » Sun May 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Good stuff Paul, hopefully that list of yours is coming along nicely.
Neil
http://northumberlandexplorer.weebly.com/
Neil Rowntree

Hometown: Newcastle

Postby Thomas Bader » Sun May 10, 2015 8:00 pm

Excellent Paul - I wonder, why we visit the Caucasus this year, if we have banded newts in Spain...
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Next

Return to Iberian peninsula