Vipera latastei

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Re: Vipera latastei

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:11 am

Ahhh,
this one:
Díaz-Rodríguez, J., H. Gonçalves, F. Sequeira, T. Sousa-Neves, M. Tejedo, N. Ferrand & I. Martínez-Solano (2015): Molecular evidence for cryptic candidate species in Iberian Pelodytes (Anura, Pelodytidae).- Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 83: 224–241
Species delineation is a central topic in evolutionary biology, with current efforts focused on developing efficient analytical tools to extract the most information from molecular data and provide objective and repeatable results. In this paper we use a multilocus dataset (mtDNA and two nuclear markers) in a geographically comprehensive population sample across Iberia and Western Europe to delineate candidate species in a morphologically cryptic species group, Parsley frogs (genus Pelodytes). Pelodytes is the sole extant representative of an ancient, historically widely distributed anuran clade that currently includes three species: P. caucasicus in the Caucasus; P. punctatus inWestern Europe, from Portugal to North-Western Italy; and P. ibericus in Southern Iberia. Phylogenetic analyses recovered four major well-supported haplotype clades in Western Europe, corresponding to well demarcated geographical subdivisions and exhibiting contrasting demographic histories. Splitting times date back to the Plio-Pleistocene and are very close in time. Species-tree analyses recovered one of these species lineages, corresponding to P. ibericus (lineage B), as the sister taxon to the other three major species lineages, distributed respectively in: western Iberian Peninsula, along the Atlantic coast and part of central Portugal (lineage A); Central and Eastern Spain (lineage C); and North-eastern Spain, France and North-western Italy (lineage D). The latter is in turn subdivided into two sub-clades, one in SE France and NWItaly and the other one from NE Spain to NW France, suggesting the existence of a Mediterranean-Atlantic corridor along the Garonne river. An information theory-based validation approach implemented in SpedeSTEM supports an arrangement of four candidate species, suggesting the need for a taxonomic revision of Western European Pelodytes.

iberianPelodytes.jpg
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:42 am

You don't need us, Mario ;) :lol:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:55 pm

Nice report Peter ! :)
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Nice photos Peter! That latastei has a not common coloration, it´s quite similar to some female aspis that I saw in Burgos and Navarra. Cheers and congrats for the viper! (some sausages are very cool, lizard-man)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:53 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:That latastei has a not common coloration, it´s quite similar to some female aspis that I saw in Burgos and Navarra.

I didn't comment because my experience with latastei is limited, but that's a thought that also crossed my mind.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Peter Oefinger » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:That latastei has a not common coloration, it´s quite similar to some female aspis that I saw in Burgos and Navarra.

Because of the pale colouration? I think that Teruel is outside the range of aspis?
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:23 pm

In my case, more because of the edgy zigzag (and the paler vertebral area).

Cf.

Of course, Teruel is out of aspis range.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Bobby Bok » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Outstanding report as always Peter! The Pelodytes you found is indeed that distinct lineage from P. punctatus like Mario pointed out.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:25 pm

Peter Oefinger wrote:Because of the pale colouration? I think that Teruel is outside the range of aspis?

Yes, pale coloration and pattern.
aspis.jpg
aspis.jpg (317.09 KiB) Viewed 6632 times

Teruel is out of the range, yes, and "the horn" is quite different. Anyway in Burgos there are also some pale-yellow individuals of latastei. It was simply a comment because your individual looks so nice, aspis-like. Maybe in north Burgos we could have paranoid about intermediate aspis-latastei, but in Teruel it must be latastei 100% ;)
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby miguel santos » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi guys,
What a great trip and another exellent, explanation on the recognition of the Podarcis group in the Iberian Peninsula. I only now reply to this thread because I was really in shock when I first saw your report. The reason was because since the summer that I was thinking about going tot he areas of Riopar, Segura, the dry areas around Galera and to Jaen to search for the same lineages of podarcis yo uso well photographed. Is this thelepathy???
Well I am at the moment in Portugal where it rains a lot BUT I came back from Jaen yesterday.
I did not see as much as you but it is a fasfinating area to be because you came across lizzards of differen species/subspecies in a couple of hours drive.
I’ll post some pics at a later stage, but maybe you can help me out with this Podarcis I saw in the northern flancs of the Sierra de Baza.
Miguel
Attachments
Podarcis.jpg
Podarcis.jpg (245.19 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

PreviousNext

Return to Iberian peninsula