Madrid Autumn herping

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Madrid Autumn herping

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:34 pm

As it had been an inordinately long time since my last herping trip.. Eight days to be exact.. I sat excitedly at 04:00 having tea and toast awaiting the arrival of Trev for our quick jaunt to Madrid.

We arrived at Gatwick in drizzle and were soon in the air and landing at sunny Madrid, a short drive later we dumped our bags at the hotel and headed for the hills.

The rest of the day was to be spent in a fantastic area of ponds, quarries and scrub land. Unlike Crete, within minutes of being on site I flipped a rock and underneath was a stunning pygmaeus.. A new species for me.. I told Trev.. He was pleased I think, but as he was close to having a stress induced heart attack due to his over complicated camera, it was hard to tell. I took some pictures for a few minutes , Trev fell over, used naughty words and took about a thousand pics in case one was less than perfect.

DSC_0201.JPG

DSC_0197 copy.jpg

I continued searching, many of the ponds we expected to find were dry, so I flipped rocks and logs in the damper areas.. Strangely in a very damp, mossey area of fallen stones from a wall, I flipped a blanus , I had seen a few before but always in very dry areas.. I showed it to Trev, by now trevs pulse had dropped to about 120 bpm.. He started taking another thousand pics.. Swearing as his tripod behaved like a drunk octopus and his glasses fell of.. I watched the vein in his head throbbing..

DSC_0209 copy.jpg

DSC_0221 copy.jpg

I carried on flipping and the saw the wall lizard,Podarcis guadarramae the main reptile species we wanted for this area. I was very pleased another tick.. Two ticks in just over an hour.. That rarely happens these days..

DSC_0226 copy.jpg

I searched for another couple of hours , finding no further species , but more individuals of the animals already seen.. Around fiveish Trev had run out of swear words, fallen over too many times and filled eight memory cards.. We decided to head back to civilisation for beer and scoffs.

Now here was a problem, before ten o'clock at night Spain is basically shut.. So we ended up buying a few bits in a super market and laying on our bunks drinking beer waiting for darkness ..

At eight o'clock we ventured out. The weather was perfect .. Hot, humid and raining slightly.. Not two minutes out of the car and I found a calamita .. Not exciting for you mainland types but as rare as decent coffee in the UK.. At least a three and a half hour drive for small colonies .. It is quicker for me to see them in France.. Trev was excited, he fell over a bit and started taking pictures.. I carried on to a small shallow pond we had found earlier, cisternii were calling every where.. To say I was excited is like saying FIFA is slightly naughty, this was my top amphibian wish for the trip.. I was listening to the calls and trying to locate a specimen when Trev walked up with a large adult pleurodeles he had found in the grass by the pond, a new tick for me.. And as we were standing there a slight movement caught my eye and I spotted a nice adult Cisternii.. Bingo another tick.. Four ticks on one day.. I doubt that will happen again for a while.. We played recordings of male cisternii back to the calling males..they lost their shit..very amusing..

DSC_0270 copy.jpg

DSC_0284.JPG

DSC_0266.JPG

DSC_0260.JPG

We continued searching .. By which I mean I looked for stuff while Trev took pics, fell over, lost kit and tested the tensile strength of the vein in his temple.. In the dark all I could here was kit being dropped and language even a non English speaker would understand..

DSC_0298.JPG

DSC_0299 copy.jpg

DSC_0308 copy.jpg

I found calamita, shed loads of them.. They were everywhere in the sandy soil.. Pygmeus were out in force as well..

DSC_0254.JPG

We searched for a few hours and decided to head back.. Strangely, given the near perfect conditions, there were no molleri or spinosus to be had ?

On the path back Trev stopped me and pointed out a little owl..Athene noctua, in a tree watching something intently on the ground ahead of us.. Remembering a post beer nocturnal conversation I had with a certain Belgian field legend, we used our head torches to seek out eye shine.. There in the path shining back were two headlights of eyes. The beast that blocked our path was immense .. At least the size of an SUV.. It was a stunning culiptres Not new, but stunning.. Many pictures were taken of this beast.. Mainly aerial as it was so huge...

DSC_0328.JPG

DSC_0332 copy.jpg

DSC_0335 copy.jpg

DSC_0343 copy.jpg

I cant lie, and I don't care if I get thrown out of viper boys or salamander club.. this toad was the best thing I have found in years.. there I've said it..its out there...* fist pumps the air and sobs uncontrollably with relief..

We went back to our beds tired but happy..

We got up early the next day. And after one of the best coffees I've ever had ( obviously Spanish tea is pelt) we headed to higher altitude for some different species..

We parked at a ski lodge and started the walk to the summit.. Trev was so slow going up hill that I could time him with a calendar.. In the time it took Trev to get halfway to the summit , Gert Jan and Sjeord would have summited found all the species , taken pics, taken mountain abs selfies, returned to the car, showered, changed, and had beer and scoffs and a lick of the bar maid.

I carried trevs rucksack .. This made him marginally faster, but gave him the energy to whinge with such regularity I believe he must have non British DNA.

Finally we crested the top and descended into a beautiful mountain valley ... This had vipers written all over it.. Rock piles, juniper bushes.. Lovely ..

Just one problem .. The weather turned very cold, cloud came down and the sun was sporadic. I searched a stream and found salamandra.. A new sub species for me.. Almanzoris.. I searched for around two hours but although salamander efts were in good numbers, I could not find any Rana Iberica..

DSC_0398 copy.jpg

DSC_0381.JPG

DSC_0374.JPG

On my climb back up the valley sides I checked for vipers, but the cold weather and late season was against us..

As I rejoined Trev he showed me the small lizard he had caught on an outcrop.. A new tick! The Rock lizard cyreni .. We were extremely pleased given the conditions.. And the joy of watching Trev falling over and stressing over taking pictures was a bonus..

DSC_0362 copy.jpg

DSC_0372.JPG

DSC_0359.JPG

We resumitted as it was starting to get dark and retraced our steps down the mountain, I flipped another rock lizard and just before the car park I flipped a corenella.. Not a bad day out given the weather ..

DSC_0412.JPG

We headed back.. Had a dirty Mc ds in honour of Bobby and went back to the hotel. We dumped our kit and headed out to look at some ponds we spotted earlier on Google Earth .. The ponds produced only calamita and again no molleri..

We headed back for tea, medals and sleep.

Up early we went to the cafe, much coffee was drunk and then we headed for the type locally for psammadromus occidentalis .. This was a beautiful area.. Bare rock and scrub. Temps were hot, a very soon I flipped a ladder snake, it was a very angry fellow, we took some pics and let him on his way..

DSC_0452.JPG

As the temps got higher we started to see psammadromus .. Only one problem.. How do you tell them apart.. We saw loads of juveniles, some with rust coloured tails, some with light tails, some all grey.. I didn't have a scoobie.. Answers on a postcard please.. any IDs gratefully received. We saw a nice adult, which I assume was algirus .. Nice blue spots on the side..

DSC_0474 copy.jpg

DSC_0477.JPG

DSC_0459.JPG

I flipped a small rock and flushed a juvenile green lizard.

Continuing on, we spotted an adult timon.. We took a few pics and he dashed off with a look like he would do our legs if he caught us alone in an alley.

DSC_0428 copy.jpg

DSC_0426.JPG

DSC_0417 copy.jpg

We headed back to the car and on the way spotted a juvenile spiny foot lizard

DSC_0510.JPG

And more of the local wall lizards..

DSC_0517.JPG

DSC_0511 copy.jpg

We drove the hour back to the airport and after the usual dirty burger ( Gert Jan I will be on a clean eating, pull up, press up and burpee mission for the next month) and full search at the airport.. I look naughty when I haven't shaved for four days.. We headed back to dear old Blighty..

So.... In conclusion...

Madrid is a fabulous place to herp, loads of cool species, great scenery, cheap flights and great coffee..

Five new ticks in two and a half days.. Not to be sneezed at.. The euro list creaks on..

Low Pro camera bags are dog shit.. Overpriced, badly designed and poorly made, not suitable for field herping.. Save your money and get a non name brand.

Huge thanks to Trev for his company, for driving and making me laugh so much by falling over a lot, getting so stressed over taking pictures and stringing an unbelievable amount of swear words into one sentence.

A further huge thanks to the usual suspects who gave me so much help and advice for the trip, you know who you are, and I am as always grateful and in your debt .

It seems an age until my next herp trip.. Skyros in nine days time with the naughty Dutch guys.. Beach selfie massive ai !!!

Pauli
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: Madrid Autumn herping

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Congrats to your ticks!
If they throw you out of the Vipera club because of that toad you can join the lizard club - with all these nice lacertids!
Note that the Psammos you shot are all algirus - cannot be confused with hispanicus or occidentalis.
Cheers
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:33 pm

great shots, Paul.
Very nice color of this pygmaeus in land morph. The ones, I saw (and marmoratus too) have been always very dark.
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:34 pm

Good stuff!!! Looks like an impressive spadefoot indeed!

Paul Lambourne wrote:Trev was so slow going up hill that I could time him with a calendar

:lol: Has got to be one of the best cheekinesses I've heard all year :!:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:13 pm

:lol: Paul if you prefer Pelobates cultripes to Vipera latastei you should make your own toads club with calamita lovers and Bufo bufo-Bufo spinosus experts! Jokes apart. Spadefood toads are great, and if you enjoy with cultripes, probably you would enjoy with the Moroccan varaldii, a bit smaller and with red spots ;)

BTW, very nice photos, juvenile and subadult scalaris are very nice! also cisternasii and pygmaeus are amazing
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:35 pm

If nobody is brave enough to say it, I say it – Pauli you are out!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:15 pm

Very nice, Paul, congrats on the finds :)

I was in the area just a few days before you but with very different results. I found perhaps a few more species but I'd trade you any day for Blanus, Rhinechis, Pleurodeles, cisternasii, cultripes,...

I'm severely regretting now that I didn't give night time phibs a decent shot but I'm wondering just how much conditions changed in those few days. I was there 3½ days, October 1-4, and the rains on Sunday seemed like the first for months so I doubt I had would have had much luck but I should at least have tried. Also, I flipped a ton of stones for Blanus finding nothing but a couple of shed skins (yes, I know they're a dime a dozen and no one else cares for them but they were at the top of my wish list :( )

Belated report should be up in ac ouple of days when I get back home to my pics.

Oh, and though I'm not sure I was ever a member of the viper club, much as I love them I wouldn't want to be a member of any club that would exclude me for appreciating cultripes ;)
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:If nobody is brave enough to say it, I say it – Pauli you are out!

Wait a minute, who made this guy president?

But I shouldn't interfere with what happens with this club of fancy-pants lads who are afraid of cold, humidity and/or darkness, because I am of course a member of the only club of real men - Manda Boyz forever!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Laura Bok » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:31 pm

Two and a half days you were in Spain you say? I almost can´t believe it - great result for such a short trip!
The Amphibian variety you show is great - I love the Pleurodeles, always nice to see them in the wild. And the look on that Pelobates` face is unrivalled! Although I imagine the look on Trev´s face to have looked similar, shortly before exploding behind the camera.
Needless to say I almost choked on my dinner laughing while reading your report.
I hope your lucky streak continues on Skyros! Cheers!
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks for the kind comments chaps...

Peter.. I don't know if I can commit to lizard club..I fear it may involve bizarre dogging activities and men in Lederhosen

Gabri, I would dearly love to visit Morocco.. its high on the list.. so many cool amphibs and vipers

Mario, I agree, most of the marmoratus I have seen have been much darker..

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Good stuff!!! Looks like an impressive spadefoot indeed!

Paul Lambourne wrote:Trev was so slow going up hill that I could time him with a calendar

:lol: Has got to be one of the best cheekinesses I've heard all year :!:

Jeroen, cheekinesses is by far the best word Ive heard for ages.. I will slip it into every conversation like a well oiled weasel.

Jurgen, I knew it would be you as the President of the viper boys, that would banish me ..

Pauli
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Next

Return to Iberian peninsula