Post Brexit Pyrennes

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Post Brexit Pyrennes

Postby Paul Lambourne » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:34 pm

So after all the fall out from Brexit, it was time for a bit of euro bonding.. Peter O and Birgit wanted to have another go a ticking some hard to see iberolacerta in the Pyrenees, and what better way to do it than with a team comprising of highly efficient Germans, a crazy Dutch guy and some thoroughly splendid non eu brits.

So, after only a few hours of discussing how many pairs of heels she needed to pack, I found myself and new fiancée landing in Barcelona after a very early flight… Ali and I were greeted at the airport by Birgit brandishing a taxi sign saying iberolacerta travel, complete with species pictures and by Sjeord vaulting the barrier in a single bound, to pick me up and cuddle me as only the Dutch can. Introductions all completed we left the airport and found Peter lounging on the hire car smoking, a scene to be often repeated.. we crammed in and left for our first site.. about a two hour drive towards the Pyrenees from Barcelona..

We arrived at the spot, a hill side with sparse vegetation, in very poor weather, low cloud and windy, not ideal herping conditions, but we persevered and soon Sjeord and Peter came up trumps with our first lizards, lacerta angilis sub species garzoni ..Peter seemed happy with the lizards..its hard to tell, he smoked a little more jauntily..We also found podarcis, voles and some cool spiders… ..We drove on and found our accom, a very cute little hotel, with very wonky stairs, giving the impression you had drunk to much even when sober.. we ate and turned in early as we had a big day ahead of us the next day.

DSC_1530 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1516 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1504 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1537 (1) JPEG forum 1.jpg

Up early, no breakfast, and only a few hours of hair and make up prep for Ali,we headed off for the site of our first iberolaceta.. anybody that has tried to tick these before knows how weather dependent the sites are at that altitude.. We were all nervous, but as we started our long walk in, the clouds thinned out and the sun shone.. we followed the path up the valley, Ali making friends with the cows, Sjoerd keeping everyone’s energy levels up with crant bullen.. a Dutch bun with currents in, Peter smoking, Birgit cursing lizards for living so far away from roads, and me being distracted from our main task by fantastic brook newt habitat. Sjeord found some pretty temporaria and after about an hour and a bit we reached the site close to the summit, a large scree slope was in full sun and quickly iberolacerta aurelioi was seen, Peter and Birgit now only had two lizard species to go to complete the Euro lizard list.. we watched and photographed the lizards for a while, having lunch in the beautiful alpine scenery, orchids were still out and the density of dragonflies and butterflies was fantastic. I couldn’t resist any longer and started searching the little mountain streams for my most wanted tick of the trip calotriton asper, literally the first submerged rock I turned over had an adult underneath.With Alis help I soon found a second adult.. I was stoked, Ali was stoked, Sjeord was stoked.. Birgit and Peter were less stoked.. to the point of being unstoked.. Peter smoked unstokely… we also founds zootoca vivipara sub species louislantzi in the same area, an egg laying sub species.. very cool to see.We headed back down the valley, seeing numerous podarcis on the way, Sjeord caught a stunning trout with his bare hands.. we came upon a large plunge pool, and obviously Sjeord and I had to have a little dip…the others politely refused… back in the car and a long drive to the next location, we passed the time reading and re reading Jeroens, Bobbies, Woueters and Jans Field guide, or as it became known on the trip..the bible..food, beer and bed.. as we had to get up early for the next lizard.. a great day, two new ticks for my tiny list!

DSC_1598 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1588 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1561 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1552 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1625 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1615 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1610 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1606 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1779 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1766 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1752 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1727 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1779 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1766 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1752 JPEG forum 1.jpg

We were again up at sparrows and headed for a high altitude spot for the second iberolacerta of the trip the scenery was stunning, and there was hardly any walk in for this site, as you can drive up to the top of the valley.. we were soon scrambling over a boulder field when the lizards were seen.. another new tick and Birgit and Peter had only one more lizard to see to complete the list.. the were giddy with excitement.. I think I actually saw Peter raise and eye brow and the corner of his mouth twitch..it may have been wind though.. we took pictures and Birgit and Ali saw a pine marten.. much to my annoyance as I have been trying to see one for years!.. we also saw a host of podarcis.. after Sjeord had done some parkour we decided to move lower down the valley, and whilst the girls topped up their tans at the lake side, the boys went off snake hunting, Peter caught an adult Vipera aspis zinnikeri, and I flipped a juvenile.. a new sub species for Sjeord and I..

DSC_1884 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1880 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1868 JPEG forum 1.jpg

DSC_1852 JPEG forum 1.jpg

pleased with ourselves we took pictures and headed to our next destination.. another long drive broken up by lunch and a stop a nice riverside site, where Sjeoerd caught a very angry Zamenis.longissimus.. we also saw tons of dragonflies and a very nice temporaria,.. more driving, more bible studies, another evening of beer, food and too little sleep followed.

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

The next morning we headed off for Peter and Birgits final tick.. sooo much pressure, we all nervously looked at the weather. We tried to drive up the valley, but the car was just not up to it… so we had a long walk in on foot, we were greeted enthusiastically by dogs half way.. I thought they were cute, Birgit and Peter not so much.. soon we were at the spot.. I say soon, the walk was about two hours… whilst we waited for the sun to enter the valley, I flipped some rocks and found the final lizard, Iberolacerta aranica , I made Birgit and Peter close there eyes and open them on the count of three, they both finished the list at the same time, a fantastic achievement for them both! Their excitement was uncontrollable .. they were crazy people, at one point they may have smiled before Peter remonstrated them both being inefficient and un Teutonic. Soon the sun came out and the density of rock lizards was fantastic.. after many pictures we started the long walk back..Ali making friends with one of the large Sheppard dogs.. we got back to the car and went for coffee to celebrate, Peter and Birgit were crazy with the relief of finishing.. at one point Im sure their pulses went over 55 bpm. Peter may have even undone his top shirt button.. Im not sure its all a blur now.

IMG_0090.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

We headed of for another site, a long, long way away.. soooo much bible reading… for my next most wanted tick of the trip, the Pyrenean stream frog. We arrived late in the day, the site was very dry, the mountain stream reduced to a narrow trickle, the small pools were very shallow, we soon found tadpoles and loads of brook newts.. and then Peter found a splendid adult Rana pyrenaica, I was extremely happy..another tick for the tiny list.. Sjeord soon found another stunning frog, probably temporaria, but very pretty non the less.. after many photos, we headed on to the accom..

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0094.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

The accom was very French, with staff that were suitably surly.. but the food was good and the company splendid.. its not often you get to eat with the king and queen of euro lizard ticking.. after dinner Ali Sjeord and I went for a walk and soon heard the little pings of Alytes, Sjeord soon found one, we listened to the pings, watched the bats and the headed back for some much needed sleep.
IMG_0096.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

Again up early, with Ali barely having enough time to blow dry her hair, do her make up and choose her outfit, we headed for a very well known site for Seonei, the site was quite heavy with bracken, Ali and I saw a basking viper, but when we got within a few meters of the basking viper it flushed into the base of a bush and we lost it..
We searched for a while longer but sadly it is very apparent that the popularity of this site has destroyed it.
We jumped back into the car and headed for another site, with the hope of finding a sub species of Podarcis leolipis, we stopped at a very exposed mountain site and Sjeord caught a lizard which seemed to fit the sub species sebatiani , we moved to a second site, less exposed and Sjeord flipped a pretty juvenile aspis, and on the next hilltop Peter found several leolepis sebastiani on a rocky outcrop.
IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

IMG_6460.JPG

We sadly finished herping, jumped back in the car and Birgit drove the hundreds of kilometres back to Barcelona at warp speed, a legendary effort. A splendid evening in Barcelona old town followed, with peter claiming he had never played pool..and then playing like a pro.. team UK was tanked by team Europe..much to Alis annoyance, she is a pretty good pool player..me not so much.. but I cant be this pretty and good at pool, that would be greedy.

We finally went to bed, and after a lovely two hour sleep we was up and heading to the airport. Goodbyes, hugs and a long flight home followed.

A truly splendid trip, some hard to see species, spectacular scenery but above all fabulous company . Huge thanks to Peter, Birgit, Sjeord and Ali , thanks to all who suggested possible locations, and thanks to the chaps for the new guide book.. absolutely invaluable in the field.

Until the next time..
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: Post Brexit Pyrennes

Postby Daniel Kane » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:35 pm

Hi Paul, love the Calotriton! Well done on all the Iberolacerta too. We didn't look for Aurelio's as we weren't within their range, and struck out on bonnali despite seemingly perfect conditions. Definitely cause for a return visit in the Spring!
Daniel Kane

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:16 am

Reading your report I actually raised my eyebrow once or twice. But maybe this is just some nervous reaction...
For the honor of team UK: when we played pool I was hungry & angry, as you remember... this is like doping. And the young bull had been doped with a family pizza before. So, quite unfair conditions. :lol:
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Bobby Bok » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:44 pm

Legendary trip you guys!

Paul Lambourne wrote:Peter and Birgit were crazy with the relief of finishing.. at one point Im sure their pulses went over 55 bpm. Peter may have even undone his top shirt button.. Im not sure its all a blur now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Having a complete arse trying to post this! cannot post images or log on half the time..

Daniel, it looks like you were stalking me.. we may have photographed the same frog :lol: It was my first trip to this area and I was stunned by the beauty of the area.. great to see your report.

Peter, dont be modest, your pool skills are strong!

paul
Paul Lambourne

Postby Paul Lambourne » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:23 am

Finally uploaded all the pictures! It was a bit of a mission but worth it in the end!
Paul Lambourne

Postby Laura Bok » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:33 am

Once more a very entertaining report from what must have been a fun trip! Nice to see so many pictures of Calotriton asper.
I also would have loved to witness Birgit & Peter making their final tick :D. And congratulations to you two!
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Borji Heras » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:21 pm

"headed for a very well known site for Seonei, the site was quite heavy with bracken, Ali and I saw a basking viper, but when we got within a few meters of the basking viper it flushed into the base of a bush and we lost it..
We searched for a while longer but sadly it is very apparent that the popularity of this site has destroyed it."

Not surprised, how many herpers visit this place every season? Each vipers must be photoshoted like 30 times between April and october
Borji Heras

Hometown: bilbao

Postby Peter Oefinger » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:26 am

Finally, I also prepared a report of that trip (and former attempts). My lessons learned: Herping ist not a supermarket - you don't always get what you want (until you are accompanied by a team of super heroes ;) )...

Enjoy:
http://www.bpo-natura.de/en/index.php?id=731

Cheers
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Andre Schmid » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:28 pm

Haha, fun to read. Thanks for sharing :mrgreen:
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Next