Mallorca November 2016

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Mallorca November 2016

Postby Daniel Kane » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:49 am

Here are a few photos of a week in November on the island of Mallorca. Target species were Alytes as well as both Podarcis species and Macroprotodon, but weather was not on our side - at least that's my excuse! The first and final days of the trip had more sun than others, but strong, cool, winds and heavy rain may have reduced herp activity during the rest of the week.

With a only three species seen despite searching in known/ideal habitats and locations I managed to see even less than on the previous holiday to Spain & France! Still, I can console myself with having seen two new species and having a good reason to return.

IMG_8824gs.JPG
Flamingos in the south of the island

IMG_8855gs.JPG
Podarcis lilfordii from the introduction in the south of Mallorca

IMG_8873gs.JPG

IMG_8902gs.JPG

Interestingly, around 8 Km further east from the known introduction site of lilfordii this species and away from the coast I saw another lilfordii. Unfortunately no photo to confirm this but it seems this species may have been locally introduced around other parts of Mallorca and Menorca (from reading Paul's report).

IMG_8915gs.JPG
Tarentola mauritanica from Mondrago

IMG_8922gs.JPG
Euscorpius balearicus also from Mondrago. A Balearic endemic.

One a windy but dry day we headed to the north of Mallorca with the hope of seeing Emys, Trachemys, and Natrix. No herps seemed to be active on this day but some nice birds went some way to making up for this.

IMG_9066gs.JPG
Little bittern from the north of Mallorca

IMG_9072gs.JPG
Stunning animal!

Palma cathedral is a well-known introduction site for the Ibiza wall lizard, Podarcis pityusensis. This day it took until around 4pm for the sun to come out enough to entice the lizards from their hiding within the plants, and all we saw was this one small individual. Still, another new species so I'll take it!

IMG_9113gs.JPG
Podarcis pityusensis from Palma

IMG_9115gs.JPG
And again

The next day we headed to the mountains of the north, hoping to get lucky with some nice weather and some nice herps. Car thermometer dropped from 14*C to 8*C as we ascended, but thankfully rose again once we dropped down to the coast where it was more sheltered. Plenty of bird life here including Black vultures overhead and plenty of Crag martins along the cliffs.

IMG_9119gs.JPG
Sierra de Tramutana

IMG_9154gs.JPG
Fantastic scenery along the north coast

IMG_9202gs.JPG

IMG_9215gs.JPG
Heading down to try our luck for toads

IMG_9225gs.JPG

IMG_9255gs.JPG
A confident black redstart from water pools near the sea

IMG_9272gs.JPG
Looking west before the sun set completely

IMG_9327gs.JPG
Tarentola found in ideal Macroprotodon habitat in the far south of Mallorca

IMG_9341gs.JPG
A final day-basking Tarentola from Mondrago - in the sun-trap created by the stones there were 5 geckos basking within a few metres

All in all not the most productive week but a fun way to spend the time nonetheless!
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Re: Mallorca November 2016

Postby Paul Lambourne » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Great to see some summer "sun" and some beautiful island sceanary ..
I don't think you can complain about two ticks! Any tick is a result! I haven't visited that alytrs site in your pictures, looks fabulous.
Paul Lambourne

Postby Niklas Ban » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:02 pm

Seems that you got a nice trip(I very very like the bittern) ! :)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Daniel Kane » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:52 pm

Thanks, guys. Looking forward to seeing what 2017 brings!
Daniel Kane

Return to Iberian peninsula