Searching for Calotriton asper (again) Location Ideas?

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Searching for Calotriton asper (again) Location Ideas?

Postby Thomas Brown » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:13 am

My parents have been spending about half the year near Girona in Catalonia for close to two decades now. Since I've been able to hire cars, when I do manage to pop out to visit them I've always spent at least a couple of days heading up in to the Pyrenees to try and spot some Calotriton asper and never succeeded.

This year, I'm taking the game a bit more seriously and have hired a campervan to spend a whole week up in the mountains and aside from a few side quests for some birds, those elusive Pyrenean newts are my main goal.

Unfortunately I couldn't get there as early as I'd have liked, so we'll be in the mountains for the second week of June.

If anyone has any hints, tips, or even rough ideas of locations, I'd be extremely grateful. Previously I've searched streams above and below the treeline, torchlight at night and a bit of rock turning by day, mostly in the eastern Pyrenees, north of Berga, Ripoll & Olot - this time I have longer so can go further west.

Thanks very much in advance.
Thomas Brown

Hometown: London

Re: Searching for Calotriton asper (again) Location Ideas?

Postby Marc Argeloo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Dear Thomas,

I have seen several more west than you describe. For instance in the valley of Anso (Huesca) they appeared relatively common in streams in alpine meadows. Another option where I (surprisingly, much lower altitude) found them is near Vadiello (Huesca): walk around the lake, up-mountain. I found several in a well / spot where water came running out the mountains, man-made place, forested, concrete, small basin, turning into a stream. I realize this is not an easy search, but walking around Vadiello and looking for such places, great chance you will come across them. Vadiello is out of the main Pyrenean mountain range, southern slope of Sierra de Guara. Good luck!

Marc
Marc Argeloo

Hometown: Leiden

Return to Iberian peninsula