Algarve in June

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Algarve in June

Postby Robert Andrews » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:43 pm

I am staying near Tavira for a family holiday in June and just wondered what the area was like for herping?

It will be my first time searching outside of the U.K, where I am used to lizards on walls and snakes under sheets of iron.

Generally familiar with habitats, but could do with some guidance around locations as I am going in blind so to speak.

I may also be visiting Spain west of Sevilla if there is anything interesting her wise around there?

Final question. Do I need any vaccinations for searching in the wild around there? Ie Rabies shots or anything for bats/ wildlife.

Thanks,

Rob
Robert Andrews

Hometown: London

Re: Algarve in June

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:12 am

Hi Rob, you won't get any details on specific sites through the public forum. In general, it may take some time to get to know people around here before they trust you with their most precious spots. Personally, I have only been there in winter and summer. June is probably not too great for amphibians and perhaps a bit late for some reptiles, but others with more experience may want to chime in. Chameleons should be very possible, I presume.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Martti Niskanen » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:41 pm

What Jeroen said.

June in Algarve can be stupid-hot. You can find chameleons if you do your homework. For other herps, head up north to Serra de Monchique and follow the streams.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Robert Andrews » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:49 pm

Ah ok so I take it in June it would be best to go out at 7am, or the evening then. I am thinking of looking around a little reserve east of Tavira and maybe just north outside the algarve.

RE: my other query, does anyone know if I need rabies injections for exploring the algarve countryside, in terms of bats etc?
Robert Andrews

Postby Robert Andrews » Tue May 16, 2017 11:19 pm

Furthermore to my post on this. What is the best time of day to go herping in Portugal during early June? Seems like its quite warm out there already 28-29 c so Im guessing early morning?
Robert Andrews

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed May 17, 2017 12:45 am

Early morning for diurnal herptiles, yes.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Robert Andrews » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:07 am

Ok guys so I am there. Totally inexperienced in herping in countries other than uk, but so far found our villa is crawling with Moorish Geckos and Iberian water frogs. I also saw very fleetingly a little black lizard on the villa gate. No sign of the Ladder snake that lives around the tree though.

Trouble is I have little idea where or when to look other than that. I am on A family holiday so I have to use wildlife time well. Does anyone here know top spots to herp? I understand some may not wish to give exact locations, but at least a bit specific as I have looked around ria formosa but finding it very hard going. I would Particularly like to find snakes and chameleons.

Also times of day would be good to.know as it is different to the U.K.

Oh and im staying near Tavira.

Thanks,

Rob
Robert Andrews

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 am

this is the habitat in which i found Malpolon monspessulanus in Andalusia. In Andalusia I found also Hemorrhois hippocrepis hippocrepis on a road and between path and a river and Natrix maura in that river. Chameleons are to be found in shrublands.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Robert Andrews » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:57 pm

Ok thanks. Is monte gordo any good? Someone mentioned it. Also the national park/ beach on the west coast.
Robert Andrews

Postby Robert Andrews » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:Image
this is the habitat in which i found Malpolon monspessulanus in Andalusia. In Andalusia I found also Hemorrhois hippocrepis hippocrepis on a road and between path and a river and Natrix maura in that river. Chameleons are to be found in shrublands.

Where is the picture taken? Is it anywhere near the Algarve, as I am struggling to find that sandy heathy land.

Thanks

ROB
Robert Andrews

Next

Return to Iberian peninsula