Algarve in June

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Re: Algarve in June

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Where is the picture taken? Is it anywhere near the Algarve, as I am struggling to find that sandy heathy land.

i do not remember, sorry
this is where i found Natrix maura, Fuengirola

Fuengirola too, bush on the left was where I found Hemorrhois hippocrepis, it is near habitat from photo above, near river
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:10 pm

Robert Andrews wrote:No sign of the Ladder snake that lives around the tree though.

You probably know already, but just in case...

keep in mind that Rhinechis should be expected to be nocturnal at this time of year.
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Robert Andrews » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:22 pm

I am home now. Despite it being a family holiday I got to see a few herps, however nothing like what I had hoped to find, bt that was probably partly due to not being able to look early or late in the evenings and my general newbie attitude towards herping on the continent- which seems to be different to the U.K.

I saw plenty of Tarentola mauritanica in the evening over the villa and what I think was an Iberian Wall Lizard in the grass
A large snake also shot Away from me in the scrubland near Manta Rota beach. Couldnt identify it though.

However what struck me was in general how desolate everything was. I searched in habitats that I am used to finding quite an abundance of herps in the U.K, yet almost nothing, not even many insects or anything else for that matter under stones logs or anything really.

Then it hit me that maybe in a different, much hotter climate maybe the way I herp has to change, so I will need educating on this.

It was early June and temperatures were in the early 30's by 11-12 am, so was that why nothing was about? Due to the fact I was with family I couldnt really escape to go out really early, nor look in the evenings, and I am not really used to looking for reptiles in the dark( Amphibians yes).

Didnt find any chameleons either, and I think in general the locals are shy about telling you where they are found. Although I guessed the sort of area they could be.

Here are some pictures of what I found.

geck.png
geck.png (389.97 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
frog3.png
frog3.png (346.87 KiB) Viewed 5277 times
frof2.png
frof2.png (106.96 KiB) Viewed 5277 times

frog.png
frog.png (351.82 KiB) Viewed 5277 times

If someone could identify the frogs for me that would be great as I am not up on European mainland frogs. I assume one was an Iberian water frog?
Robert Andrews

Hometown: London

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:43 am

all the frogs are Iberian water frogs
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Robert Andrews » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:56 pm

Any tips for next time? Like I say I went out between 9 and 12 some days but found absolutely nothing anywhere all in this scrubland type habitat with lots of rocks.
Robert Andrews

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:14 am

Blowing one's own trumpet is frowned upon, but since nobody else is doing it :P , I advice to get our book and read the introductory chapters. It will (obviously) also allow you to determine that these are Iberian water frogs.

http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/field-guid ... 408154595/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amphibians-Rep ... 1408154595
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Robert Andrews » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Blowing one's own trumpet is frowned upon, but since nobody else is doing it :P , I advice to get our book and read the introductory chapters. It will (obviously) also allow you to determine that these are Iberian water frogs.

http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/field-guid ... 408154595/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amphibians-Rep ... 1408154595

Ok thank you.

Regarding the Iberian frog in my pictures, when I search up this frog it tells me it is only present in northern and central Portugal, but I stayed in the Algarve, 20 minutes from the south coast.

Does that book contain information on herping methods on the continent, since clearly I am inexperienced when it comes to other countries ( on account of finding virtually nothing)? I must have been looking when it was too hot or something.
Robert Andrews

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:58 am

There's an Iberian stream frog and an Iberian water frog. Not the same frog. Are you using no field guide at all?

And yes about how to herp and the book. I already wrote that, didn't I? You may be the only person on this forum who doesn't own a copy. :P :oops:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Previous

Return to Iberian peninsula