In relation to travelling around Portugal and Spain

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

In relation to travelling around Portugal and Spain

Postby Robert Andrews » Sat May 27, 2017 11:37 am

I asked in the Algarve thread I made but I think it got missed.

When you are herping in Portugal and Spain do you need rabies and/or other injections? Is it safe to walk through the wild along rivers and through the scrub?

I hear that you can only really can rabies from bats in Portugal, are these fairly easy to avoid?

Thanjs,

Rob
Robert Andrews

Hometown: London

Re: In relation to travelling around Portugal and Spain

Postby Martti Niskanen » Sun May 28, 2017 8:58 am

I can't see why rabies would be a concern in Iberia. CDC and Public Health England class Spain and Portugal as "no risk" countries.
Why ask a herping forum when proper assessments prepared by experts are available? As for avoiding bats, you really have to make an effort to get bitten by a bat, so you don't need to "avoid" them in any way. Things such as traffic and heat stroke are realistic concerns instead of rabies.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Niklas Ban » Sun May 28, 2017 10:55 am

Robert Andrews wrote:I hear that you can only really can rabies from bats in Portugal, are these fairly easy to avoid?

Through bats you can get rabies also in Germany.. Do you want to touch bats? No? Then don't worry.
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Robert Andrews » Sun May 28, 2017 12:50 pm

Martti Niskanen wrote:I can't see why rabies would be a concern in Iberia. CDC and Public Health England class Spain and Portugal as "no risk" countries.
Why ask a herping forum when proper assessments prepared by experts are available? As for avoiding bats, you really have to make an effort to get bitten by a bat, so you don't need to "avoid" them in any way. Things such as traffic and heat stroke are realistic concerns instead of rabies.

Well because the main wildlife activity I want to do whilst there is herping and I figured if a lot of Herpers here thought it was a risk or that they were advised or had the injections for herping it was worth looking into.

Thanks for replies,

Rob
Robert Andrews

Hometown: London

Return to Iberian peninsula