Schooltrip to Mallorca in May 2017

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Re: Schooltrip to Mallorca in May 2017

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:49 pm

Congrats on the muletensis :)

I think I could live with such a job...

The difference between the two populations is interesting. Differing leg lengths sounds weird but as for the colours, might that not simply be a day / night thing?
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Kai Kolodziej » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi Bobby,
well you know what I think about it, but again huge congrats to this wonderful project.
It is an amazing opportunity to show pupils animals in the wild and then even in a different country, it must have been an awesome experience for them (and you too). For sure it will be an experience for their whole lifetime!

Keep up the good work and also Wouter who joined you.

cheers Kai
Kai Kolodziej

Hometown: Perchtoldsdorf

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:33 pm

Awesome! How old do you have to be to sign up for your course? ;)
Joking aside-great job, the world needs more teachers like you.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:51 am

Lovely! Wish I had been there...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:47 pm

Average age on this forum is about 25yo. Is it because younger generations are too focused on technology? Why do not we have younger forum users here? Are herpetologist/fieldherpers doomed to extintion as a "species"?
sorry for offtopic
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Thanks a lot for the supporting comments guys!

Andre Schmid wrote:Very nice!

Thanks Andre!

Kristian Munkholm wrote:Congrats on the muletensis :)
I think I could live with such a job...
The difference between the two populations is interesting. Differing leg lengths sounds weird but as for the colours, might that not simply be a day / night thing?

This job isn't so bad no ;) Especially if you have some opportunities to take your students into the field like this!

As for the difference between the two populations. We saw several individuals and while most were rather plump and heavily spotted in the first, in the second population they were all rather pale and long limbed. I don't think it is a difference between day and night, I have them in the classroom for years and never saw them change colour at night. As almost every muletensis population is incredibly isolated it might be not so far fetched to think there would be genetic differences as well.

Kai Kolodziej wrote:Hi Bobby,
well you know what I think about it, but again huge congrats to this wonderful project.
It is an amazing opportunity to show pupils animals in the wild and then even in a different country, it must have been an awesome experience for them (and you too). For sure it will be an experience for their whole lifetime!
Keep up the good work and also Wouter who joined you.
cheers Kai

Thanks Kai! Actually I don't know what you think about it :oops: But it was great to see the students enthusiasm over every gecko and beetle we found. Of course that also makes me take a second look at every animal we found and appreciate the common species ;)

Ilian Velikov wrote:Awesome! How old do you have to be to sign up for your course? ;)
Joking aside-great job, the world needs more teachers like you.

Haha, maybe you can still pretend to be 18 ;) At least in behaviour I know I could :lol:

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Lovely! Wish I had been there...

Thanks love! That would have been a great reunion of the holy trinity :D
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:15 am

Bobby Bok wrote:Haha, maybe you can still pretend to be 18 At least in behaviour I know I could

In behavior I'm maybe about 3 every day when I play with my daughter so 18 shouldn't be a problem at all :D
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Robin Duborget » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:41 pm

As a teacher I'm absolutly impressed by your work Bobby (and by this interesting endemic species).
How old are your students ? You came in Mallorca because this sort of school trip is in the official programme of your country ?
In France it's very difficult, if not impossible, to go with students somewhere without a strong justification in the official programme.
Can you tell me more about this project ?

You should definitely go to Corsica ! It will be a pleasure to meet and your students in my island :D

Robin
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

Postby Bobby Bok » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:29 pm

Robin Duborget wrote:As a teacher I'm absolutly impressed by your work Bobby (and by this interesting endemic species).
How old are your students ? You came in Mallorca because this sort of school trip is in the official programme of your country ?
In France it's very difficult, if not impossible, to go with students somewhere without a strong justification in the official programme.

You should definitely go to Corsica ! It will be a pleasure to meet and your students in my island :D

Robin

My students range between 12 and 18 and the students who were with me on Mallorca are between 15 and 18. Some years ago I started keeping animals in my classroom, first stick insects and later I decided to move my 'pets' such as Leopard Geckoes and the Alytes also in the classroom. Some students were highly interested and wanted to help me to take care of the animals. More animals found their way into the classroom such as Litoria, beetles, mantids etc.
So for a select group of students who have a special passion for amphibians and reptiles I erected a study group. First of all to take care of the animals in the classroom but also to do excursions to look for Tree Frogs for example. It is all extracurricular and not part of the standard curriculum. It's extra work for me - but if it's extra work like this I don't mind :D
And when a student in his enthusiasm said he would love to see Alytes muletensis in the wild I thought why the hell not?! So I convinced the schoolboard to let me organize this.
The school where I work has been received a label of excellence by the Dutch government and my study group was also mentioned in the jury report. It was one of the fine examples of extracurricular activities the school undertakes . Of course I am rather proud of that!

Well, Corsica is definitely on the menu for next year, if not with my students then Laura and I will go with the two of us. It would indeed be great to meet up and I will certainly let you know ;)
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:24 pm

Bobby Bok wrote:
Robin Duborget wrote:As a teacher I'm absolutly impressed by your work Bobby (and by this interesting endemic species).

Robin

My students range between 12 and 18 and the students who were with me on Mallorca are between 15 and 18. Some years ago I started keeping animals in my classroom, first stick insects and later I decided to move my 'pets' such as Leopard Geckoes and the Alytes also in the classroom. Some students were highly interested and wanted to help me to take care of the animals. More animals found their way into the classroom such as Litoria, beetles, mantids etc.
So for a select group of students who have a special passion for amphibians and reptiles I erected a study group. First of all to take care of the animals in the classroom but also to do excursions to look for Tree Frogs for example. It is all extracurricular and not part of the standard curriculum. It's extra work for me - but if it's extra work like this I don't mind :D
And when a student in his enthusiasm said he would love to see Alytes muletensis in the wild I thought why the hell not?! So I convinced the schoolboard to let me organize this.
The school where I work has been received a label of excellence by the Dutch government and my study group was also mentioned in the jury report. It was one of the fine examples of extracurricular activities the school undertakes . Of course I am rather proud of that!

Well, Corsica is definitely on the menu for next year, if not with my students then Laura and I will go with the two of us. It would indeed be great to meet up and I will certainly let you know ;)

have you ever had any caudata in captivity? Ambystoma tigrinum is cool but it requires temperatures around 20*C and in poland we have sometimes 30*C in summer, unfortunately i have no cold basement
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

PreviousNext

Return to Iberian peninsula