A few photos from Galicia - June 2017

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Re: A few photos from Galicia - June 2017

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:53 am

Ruggero, that's why I put "at least in this grassy habitat". I doubt that it is a rule written in stone. Animals behavior vary greatly from population to population depending on multiple factors, not to mention that your Chalcides is a different species.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:Ruggero, that's why I put "at least in this grassy habitat". I doubt that it is a rule written in stone. Animals behavior vary greatly from population to population depending on multiple factors, not to mention that your Chalcides is a different species.

I know, but I've observed this also in Provence with C.striatus.
And at the side of the road grassy habitat was present always... ;)
Yes if you say that in grassy habitat they are often hidden and ready to crawl away, it's true and it cannot be other like that obviously (the premises are forcing).
But a road for a reptile is not different from a stone table: I wanted to underline that they can bask also fully exposed. As you wrote, there's no rule... ;)
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:06 pm

Well, at least this is new to me, Ruggero, thanks!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:28 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:do you know if they are often found living on human dwellings (similar to some gecko species)?

I agree with what Jeroen wrote about this.
In general, it is remarkable that the Galicia low land populations live in significantly different habitats compared to their relatives in the mountains...
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:42 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Well, at least this is new to me, Ruggero, thanks!

Thanks to you Jeroen! :D

Another behaviour of Chalcides sp. (I don't think there are great behavioural differences between striatus and the nominal subspecies) which, I think, is really poorly known is the following one: the mothers can feed the newborns with a substance (orange coloured, if I remember well) expelled from their cloacal region just after having given birth.
The first time I read about this fact was from a rather old italian book: I believed this, because nobody could easily invent such a fact without having actually observed this, but other Forumers (of another Forum) gave simply no importance to this, thinking the author was a little "crazy" or "drunk". :lol:
But after some time, an italian herpetologist (who at first laughed about this fact) called me by phone only to tell me that he had newly observed this behaviour himself, obviously in captive situations (as it was the case of the first observation too).
Anyway interesting... or not? :o :lol:
Ruggero M.

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:57 pm

Remaining yolk? Fascinating, for sure!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Remaining yolk? Fascinating, for sure!

Could be. I don't have the book with me now, but I think to remember that there was described (but I'm not 100% sure now) that the mothers induced the stubborn kids to eat this substance... If you want, I give you the title of the book...

Here is it: https://books.google.it/books/about/Io_ ... edir_esc=y
Ruggero M.

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:13 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:I wanted to underline that they can bask also fully exposed. As you wrote, there's no rule...

Sure, thanks Ruggero. This time in Galicia was my first experience with Chalcides so I can't really argue with any of that. I just wanted to share my observation.

Peter Oefinger wrote:In general, it is remarkable that the Galicia low land populations live in significantly different habitats compared to their relatives in the mountains...

I noticed this first hand this year. After seeing them on Picos de Europa last year I didn't know what to expect in Galicia. On a few occasions I heard rustles in the bushes on the roadside, or in ditches (not even rocky terrain)...I thought it might be Lacerta but I finally managed to see who was making the noise and it was monticola. It seemed like they occupy similar habitat as L.viridis in Bulgaria (and other places I guess).

Ruggero Morimando wrote:Anyway interesting... or not?
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: Fascinating, for sure!

Absolutely! I've said that before but I'm a big fan of ethology and information like this is like treasure for me. :shock: Many Thanks Ruggero! You should ask this guy to document it (visually) if he gets another chance.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Remaining yolk?

Makes sense. It would be good to know...
Ilian Velikov

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:21 pm

By the way, speaking of Lacerta in my previous comment - I've been twice to Spain now overall experiencing a span of weather conditions (from very sunny/hot, through warm and cloudy, to rainy and humid with intermittent sun) that should cover Lacerta activity, and also in a very suitable habitat for them (from high in the mountains, through lower in the mountains, along streams, to heathland, marsh and coast ) and I never saw a single schreiberi or bilineata! Having in mind how common and easy to see viridis is in Bulgaria (and throughout the Balkans) I thought I'd at least see a few Lacerta in Spain. Are they so difficult to find and why do you think I've missed them? Any tips for next time?
Ilian Velikov

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Something found in this direction on youtube... :D

https://youtu.be/OvCl6pcPaQ4
Ruggero M.

PreviousNext

Return to Iberian peninsula