Montpellier snake Help

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Montpellier snake Help

Postby Avery Leatherwood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 am

Hey Everyone!
So, I live in the north of Spain (in a small town near Pamplona) and i have been searching for an adult M. monsspessulanus... Forever. I am aware that they are more of a southern species, but I wanted to see if anyone would have any advice on finding them. In summer i find juveniles everywhere but I have never seen one more than half a meter long. Any advice? By the way, i know that many reptile enthusiasts and herpers are very skeptical and are not quick to share locations and other things like that. I am only looking for habitat, altitude... (though any advice is welcome) and the only reason I search for them is for research, photography etc. Not to harass nor harm the animal in any way. I am trying to study as much as i can, that way when this quarantine lets up, i can have a better chance at finding them. Thanks In advance!
Avery Leatherwood

Hometown: Pamplona

Re: Montpellier snake Help

Postby Ruggero M. » Thu May 14, 2020 1:18 pm

If you see juveniles, there must be adults too!
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Avery Leatherwood » Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Yeah, that's what i thought! I even just found a 6 inch one just yesterday, and now i'm confused cuz i thought that they don't hatch till june! I am (as always) still on the hunt to find the parents of the very plentiful juveniles.
Avery Leatherwood

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu May 14, 2020 7:23 pm

Try looking under planks, corrugated pieces of tin or other material, cardboard, tiles or other rubbish, or flat stones, pieces of concrete. When I lived near Barcelona I used to find huge adults in such places almost every day. You would be surprised how big snakes could fit under seemingly small pieces of trash. Look for places like ruined buildings or something similar near or in more natural habitat. Those are favored also by the Malpolon's prey (geckos, other lizards and rodents).I have to say I never saw even a single juvenile though!

MM_StCugat_April2018  (5).JPG

MM_StCugat_April2018  (1).JPG
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Avery Leatherwood » Fri May 15, 2020 8:04 am

Thanks for the advice! And awesome photos! I will definitely start looking in places like that! I was under the impression that flipping for M. monsspessulanus wasn't very effective as they are very active snakes, so that is very helpful (and i guess it makes sense that like other snakes they spend a lot of time under rocks, tin...) Thanks for the reply!
Avery Leatherwood

Return to Iberian peninsula