Algarve - RFI ASAP please

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Algarve - RFI ASAP please

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:26 am

Hi everyone,

as some of my local herping plans have unfortunately been cancelled I got the crazy idea to go abroad for a couple of days instead. The only time slot available to me was from May 21 to May 24 so I surfed the net for cheap airfare to potentially interesting herping locations.

My best bet turned out to be Algarve. If I book the tickets I will arrive in Faro late at night on Friday and leave Monday late in the afternoon. This leaves me with Saturday and Sunday for some intense herping. If worthwhile I might do some nighttime herping either the night before Sunday or the one before Monday as well. I should also have the chance to get in a few hours in the vicinity of Faro Monday morning. I will rent a car to get around. Except the first night when I will probably book a room in Faro I am prepared to camp out in a tent.

My main target would be Chamaeleo chamaeleon but as I have never been to the Iberian peninsula most everything would be a lifer and of great interest - particularly the snakes though as well as species such as Blanus cinereus and Timon lepidus.

So my question is: How are my chances with just a couple of days at that time of year? Is it worthwhile? And does anyone here have any tips - regarding species, localities, times, practicalities, basically anything? If you are willing to disclose information you feel is of a sensitive nature, please do so by PM, otherwise replies in this thread would be nice.

As I need to book my flight soon in case I decide to do so, fast replies would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to any and all who offer any form of help :)

Kristian
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Re: Algarve - RFI ASAP please

Postby Tony Palmer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:14 pm

Hi Kristian,
I can tell you were you will find Chamaeleo chamaeleon, I will pm you the location it isn’t to far from Faro

Cheers,
Tony
Tony Palmer

Hometown: Hull East Yorkshire

Postby Mikkel Frederiksen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi Kristian.
I got a personal old friend called Eduardo in southern Portugal, maby he are villing to help you with locations or herp-contacts in Algarve? I thought about visiting him many times, he offered that i could stay at his place but I never had an oportunity :( I can ask my friend, he knows about the nature, so just mail me if it got any interest.
Greetings Mikkel Frederiksen - Denmark
http://www.herp-spot.weebly.com
Mikkel Frederiksen

Hometown: Nykoebing Sj.

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks to both of you.

Tony - great info :D

Mikkel, you and the rest of the group could maybe come along if you wish and we could make a group excursion of it. Airfare from Billund is ridiculously cheap. Interested? Either way, I'd love to have a local contact.
Kristian Munkholm

Postby Peter Oefinger » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am

Hi Kristian,

you can find interesting species there, for example Malpolon, Chalcides striatus, Podarcis carbonelli and Lacerta schreiberi.
if you need additional information, just send a mail (bpo-natura@web.de).
Regards
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue May 04, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks to all of you for your help.

Unfortunately, as my coherpers have all - for various legitimate reasons - jumped ship the Algarve trip has proven a little too constly and cumbersome in terms of transportation for me to undertake by myself. I will therefore be going to Croatia instead - airfare and car rental already booked :mrgreen: - and will be posting a somewhat similar RFI in the appropriate forum.

I really appreciate your assistance though and I fully expect it will be put to good use at some later date ;)
Kristian Munkholm

Return to Iberian peninsula