Report from my trip to Mallorca

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Report from my trip to Mallorca

Postby Bobby Bok » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:48 am

You'll have to learn Dutch to read it, otherwise there are always the pictures ;)

http://www.herpet.mysites.nl/mypages/herpet/515136.html

It was a holiday not a fieldtrip, that should explain the short species list, I was very eager to find three species: Alytes muletensis, Podarcis pituysensis and Podarcis lilfordi. The other species of the island are either very hard to find in summer (Testudo graeca, Macroprotodon, Bufo viridis, Emys) and/or not worth the effort (Hemidactylus, Natrix maura, T. hermanni, Pelophylax). I'm very happy with the result, I would have loved to find adult "Ferrerets" but that was very, very hard due to the dry conditions previous to my trip. Also I would have loved to have visited more uninhabited islets for different lilordi subspecies, but this was also harder then anticipated (strong currents, strong winds, unwilling local people). Anyway, enjoy!

Majorcan midwife toad (Alytes muletensis)

Balearic wall lizard (Podarcis lilfordi fahrae)

Balearic wall lizard (Podarcis lilfordi gigliolii)

Ibiza wall lizard (Podarcis pituysensis)
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Re: Report from my trip to Mallorca

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Did I mention that I hate you? ;)
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:11 pm

as usal, great pics!!!

Isen`t it nice to be in the south without herping around, just enjoy life??? I lov it!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 am

I just love this shot: :D
Great job Bobby!
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:45 pm

Thanks guys!

Peter Oefinger wrote:Did I mention that I hate you? ;)

Yes, and it hurts everytime :cry: ;)

But Jürgen, enjoying life is for me herping, sitting still on a beach is more of a punishment to me :D Luckily it's easy to combine the two in the south so no relation-related stress occured (except for finding the midwife toads...).
Bobby Bok

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:49 pm

Something remarkable: the second gigliolii picture is one of the best "lizards-in-their-habitat" shots ever. I think the lizards were cooperative and the picture was taken from a distance of lesse than 20 cm - so wide angle modus was possible.
Usually, the distance is the photographer is much bigger, the results are tele-macros without (sharp) lanscape. The alternative is catching the lizards for the picture but for me, these pictures look ugly.

Really cool...
Peter Oefinger

Postby Bert Vandebosch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Some comments from somebody who can actually read your report:
As usual very nice, bobby!!!
I would have loved to see you struggling on that sinking "water bike" :D . Herpers and crossing water is never a good idea, I thought you learned your lesson.
Congrats with the midwife. It's good you didn't find an adult so we can go back together sometime to find one ;)

Again amazing pictures with that stupid little camera.
I hate you and the camera too ;)
Bert Vandebosch

Hometown: Assent

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Peter Oefinger wrote:Something remarkable: the second gigliolii picture is one of the best "lizards-in-their-habitat" shots ever. I think the lizards were cooperative and the picture was taken from a distance of lesse than 20 cm - so wide angle modus was possible.
Usually, the distance is the photographer is much bigger, the results are tele-macros without (sharp) lanscape. The alternative is catching the lizards for the picture but for me, these pictures look ugly.

Really cool...

Thanks Peter, it can be tricky sometimes photographing these guys, they can be far more curious then you would like them to be and they start sitting and nibbling on your camera! Luckily I found a semi-shady spot where they were still basking so it was easier and the distance between you and the lizards is indeed 20-30 cm or so. Here a picture from a nonbasking spot:

Bert Vandebosch wrote:Some comments from somebody who can actually read your report:
As usual very nice, bobby!!!
I would have loved to see you struggling on that sinking "water bike" :D . Herpers and crossing water is never a good idea, I thought you learned your lesson.
Congrats with the midwife. It's good you didn't find an adult so we can go back together sometime to find one ;)

Again amazing pictures with that stupid little camera.
I hate you and the camera too ;)

It's nice to hear I'm so loved :lol: And I did have a flashback from the Sardinia trip eventough the amount of water was slightly bigger this time. Going back to Mallorca is no problem, the Ferreret habitat is stunning and would love to see it again and see the adult Ferrerets of course, only saw them in the Marineland zoo and they are amazing! Maybe a trip with Peter as well so he can get his Podarcis overdose ;)
Bobby Bok

Postby Sandra Panienka » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:03 pm

Very nice trip report. Nice to see that Mallorca has so many nice herps. I've been there as a kid about 20 years ago. My favorite is the pic with the speed boat in the back. Looks like the lizard is on vacaton itself. :) So let me see if I've learned some dutch, a kikker is a frog, a pad a toad and a hagedis a lizard?
Sandra Panienka

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:50 am

Bobby Bok wrote:so he can get his Podarcis overdose

This would be an interesting experiment - maybe I can smoke them :ugeek:
Peter Oefinger

Return to Iberian peninsula