Southern Portugal and São Miguel Island

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Southern Portugal and São Miguel Island

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:32 am

Hey all,

I just come back from a 10 days trip in Southern Portugal and in the São Miguel Island (Azores archipelago). This trip was not specifically dedicated to fieldherping but before going there, I tried to collect some information about the common chameleon (C.chamaeleon, see viewtopic.php?f=24&t=846 for details) since I wanted to photograph the introduced population living close to the Spanish border. During my stay, I walked in the areas numbered from 1 to 4 on the two first figures, which were characterized by different habitats and climate conditions.

moins1.JPG
moins1.JPG (88.32 KiB) Viewed 7217 times

zero.jpg

Area #1:

Weather: Sunny and very hot (> 30°C in the afternoon), almost no wind

This area was centered on the Santa-Clara “barragem” which forms a large lake where you can find frogs, turtles (M.leprosa, 3 specimens observed in the morning and the afternoon) and lizards (many P.algirus). I was not able to find snakes directly around this lake, but was more successful nearby the rivers located in its surroundings. The first snake I saw was a reddish/brownish N.maura at around 7 p.m. It was swimming in a shallow river which was full of small fishes, frogs and also crayfishes. This specimen was approximately 60cm long and at first sight, seemed to be uniform in coloration. The second snake encountered was a molting and mid-grown H.hippocrepis, also observed in the late afternoon close to a river. According to the local people, this snake is frequently seen in this area and the high concentration of birds in this place could explain that (among others).

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

Area #2:

Weather: Sunny and hot (> 25°C), strong wind close to the coast

I walked in this region from Odeceixe to Sagres (furthest city to the South) in the “Parque Natural do Sudoeste Alentejano e Costa Vicentina” along the very nice coast (which turned out to be very windy too!). In principle, it should be possible to find V.latasti in this area (See for instance the map in http://books.google.fr/books?id=YJ8wV0R ... ti&f=false ) but I did not come across it. In the Eucalyptus forests, I had the occasion once again to find many P.algirus, a common yellow scorpion (B.occitanus) after flipping a large rock and several T.mauritanica basking on ruines in the morning. On the road leading to Sagres, I spotted a large DOR M.monspessulanus, a snake which is present all over the Portugal.

8.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

14.JPG

12.JPG

13.JPG

15.JPG

Area #3:

Weather: Sunny and hot (> 30°C)

I investigated this area to find common chameleons during the only real fieldherping session of my trip. C.chamaeleon is discontinuously distributed along the coast in the Algarve region (mainly), the biggest populations being close to the Spanish border. I started looking for them at around 9 a.m in the pinewoods and after 30 minutes of search, I discovered my first chameleon at 2m high in a tree. I then decided to move into the dune vegetation where I found 3 other C.chamaeleon in 1 hour. Below are some shots taken during this very good morning.

17.JPG

18.JPG

19.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

22.JPG

23.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

26.JPG

And to conclude with chameleons, just few words about the place where I found them: As pointed out by several studies, it is very close to touristic places and many people are walking at few meters from them (without noticing their presence, in general). However, they are suffering from a dense road traffic in summer, and this leads to a subsequent number of DOR chameleons.

Area #4:

Weather: Sunny, hot (> 25°C) and humid

São Miguel Island is also known as the “Green Island”, which is completely relevant as can be seen on the pictures below. Unfortunately, the herpetofauna on this relatively young and geographically isolated island is quite poor. To my knowledge, one could find only the following species: T.carnifex (not seen), T.scripta (introduced, not seen), P.perezi (abundant everywhere on the island), T.dugesii (introduced in 19. century according to Rudolf Malkmus’s book, can be found everywhere on the island at low altitude) and maybe P.ridibundus and P. kl.esculentus (to be confirmed). However, this is largely counterbalanced by the beauty of this place.

27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

31.JPG

32.JPG

33.JPG

Guillaume
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Re: Southern Portugal and São Miguel Island

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:45 am

the Chamaeleo shots are great, and also the Teira dugesii.
Not to forget the nearly unicolored Natrix maura!
Thanks for sharing!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Bobby Bok » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:32 pm

Looks like a jungle, the Azores are on my wishlist of places to visit, after seeing these pictures even more! The chameleons are awesome, in december I was also in that place but with 5 degrees and strong wind there was no chance of finding any, would love to go back there to see my nr. 1 favourite European reptile. Great pictures!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Sebastian Holzki » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:28 pm

Wow, impressive landscape and the reptiles are also great 8-)
Sebastian Holzki

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Martti Niskanen » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Nice report, particularly the habitat.
Might there be chameleons around the location 1 around Saboia? My in-laws live there so I've spent time in that region, although during the hottest time of the year, which is stinking hot. I never thought chameleons went up north to Serra de Monchique.

Cheers.

Martti
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks for your replies ;) .
Might there be chameleons around the location 1 around Saboia? My in-laws live there so I've spent time in that region, although during the hottest time of the year, which is stinking hot. I never thought chameleons went up north to Serra de Monchique.

I've spent few days in location 1 without having seen a single chameleon and as you wrote, it was really really hot in this region. Besides, from what I could read: "Records -of chameleons- for Silves, Monchique and Aljezur (Lopes Assis in litt. 1997) and the Guadiana valley stretching north beyond Mértola (Blasco 1997) are questionable" (Rudolf Malkmus). So I guess that the chance to see a chameleon in this area is quite weak anyway.

Speaking of Monchique, I also saw a DOR snake close to this city and I'd like to have your opinion on its ID. It was close to 1m if I remember well:

DSCF1769.JPG

DSCF1770.JPG

DSCF1771.JPG

Thanks
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:56 am

The dead snake looks like Malpolon to me!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:59 pm

Hi Guillaume! You find many camaleons, congrats!!! I love the herp photos and the amazing landscape of São Miguel Island. Wow, it seems a place to forget even the herps and just relax..... ;)

gabri
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:15 pm

+1 Malpolon
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Matt Wilson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:20 pm

Very nice photographs, and for a summer trip you did well. I am 100% sure that your dor snake is a male Malpolon monspessulanus, these snakes were very much asleep when I was there in February :-(.
Matt
Matt Wilson

Hometown: Manchester

Next

Return to Iberian peninsula