Iberian Salamandra Quiz

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

Re: Iberian Salamandra Quiz

Postby Wouter Beukema » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:47 am

Its indeed morenica, Jeroen! But this one was photographed north of Sevilla.
Wouter Beukema

Hometown: Enschede

Postby Matt Wilson » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:11 pm

I must shamefully admit that I had a bit of trouble guessing all of those Salamandra subspecies, but I'm sure I'll be able to recognise morenica when I go looking for them in October ;-) Jeroen, don't worry, as you know I also get equally as excited about salamanders than by a venomous snake (if not more so!) :D
Matt Wilson

Hometown: Manchester

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Michael Glass wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Thank you for your valuable contribution.

It seems neither critics, nor joking is welcome. I will set myself to read-only. I hope you appreciate so you don't have to endure my comments any more.
Micha

Don't worry, Michael, I like you just the way you are - I thought my smiling devil made it clear that I was just teasing you too.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:28 am

Micha,

To induce you, to set your avatar from "read only" to your longissimus again, here a reading tip for you ;) (and, for sure, all others too)

Rodger McPhail (2011): The private life of Adders. - Merlin Unwin Books, ISBN 978-1-906122-29-4

The author photograhed adders in his local moor in Lacashire for many years. Capters like: Locomotion, Basking, Sloughing, Mating, Combat, Feeding, Birth & Infancy aso. with mostly very good pictures.

I´ve got it yesterday from Chimaira for € 22.80, printed price in book £ 14.99

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 am

I bought the book a few months ago! You will not read anything you don't know in there but the photographs are worth it! Really great photos of different behaviour, etc., I'll recomend it just for that!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Matt Wilson » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Regarding that book, I have to say I was rather disappointed. Many of the photos are out of focus, especially the front cover! When I read the synopsis I thought it would be a great tale of a man who has spent all of his life working with adders. Turns out he has only been observing at that location for the past few years. To put into further context, the site that he monitors is one of only two known populations of Vipera berus in Lancashire (where I live) and he went and put a habitat photo of the best site and published it in the book which I felt was rather silly or perhaps naive. Especially since once an adder site around here becomes common knowledge it really is a big problem, so many people wanting to see them, but so few places where they still survive.
But I have still bought it and read it a couple of times so its not too bad, especially his observations of females giving birth.
Matt Wilson

Hometown: Manchester

Postby Paul Lambourne » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 am

Chaps,

I am in total agreement with Matt, I bought this book as soon as it came out and was very disapointed, I feel the pictiures in the book are very poor.. certainly much lower than the standard displayed by many people on this forum. Whilst I dont claim to take great pics..I often manage to get them in focus..The information is very scant and often misleading... the observations, whilst interesting are limited to a few Northern sites.. and again I wholly agree with Matt regarding identifying specific berus sites... not good..particually up North they might start eating them :D

I felt the book was merely a collection of someones berus pictures (often blurry)with little factual content..and a collection of less than relevant filler pics.. such as things you might see while looking for berus..

I feel that such a fine species deserves a much better monograph to be written.. Jeroen, Johan, Mario.. anyone?

Cheers

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Previous

Return to Iberian peninsula