The Algarve in Spring

Portugal, Spain, Andorra

The Algarve in Spring

Postby Mike Dunning » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi everyone,
Happy New Year!
Last September/October I spent 1 week in central Algarve, about 30 minutes north of Faro. During this time I did a lot of searching for reptiles and amphibians at some very promising sites, but alas I only found one or two water frog species and 1 specimen of a grass snake.  I guess that being late in the year was the main factor for not seeing many species, coupled with the dry, hot summer they had experienced?? Anyway, I have the chance to go back to re-visit the same area, probably February or March 2012, so my question is what IS the best month, would it be February or March?? 
Has anyone visited the Algarve in early spring? As I mentioned above, the areas did look very promising given the right conditions, although in Sept/Oct river beds and ponds had dried up, but I expect them to refill after winter rains.
Any advice on timing would be helpful,
Best wishes
Mike Dunning 
Mike Dunning

Hometown: Guisborough

Re: The Algarve in Spring

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:47 am

Hi Mike.
I have no experience about Portugal herping, but look at these awesome reports- http://www.euroherp.com/browse_trips.html?c=PT -some of them are from September and October. However the presence of success depends of course on: which species are You looking for, how, where (height above sea level, habitats), when (which weather, daytime). As to Your question- again, it depends what You want to see, but March is generally better to choose. Take a look at this report- http://www.euroherp.com/Field/spain5.html- March/April and not far from Your destination.
I wish You successful herping.
Michał
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:08 pm

I'd say that April might be best for reptiles, while amphibians are more readily found from December to February (in relation to humidity and temperature, of course).
Here our winter report from December 2010 - endless rain with great result.
http://www.hylawerkgroep.be/jeroen/index.php?id=55
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mike Dunning » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:57 pm

Dear all,
Many thanks for the replies and the general interest in my questions, and for the record I've booked the eastern Algarve region from 1st to 8th March. Hopefully this time I'll be more successful.

Kind Regards
Mike
Mike Dunning

Hometown: Guisborough

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Look for non-permanent pools and explore them at night. Chances are, you will be amazed ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Return to Iberian peninsula