Wildlife Illustrations

Here you may post links to other sites, related to field herpetology

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:10 pm

wow :o
User avatar
Michal Szkudlarek
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:09 pm
Location: Poland
Hometown: ...
country: Poland

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Alexandre Roux » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:14 am

Awesome drawings, showed it to my colleagues yesterday, they all fell down from their chair when they saw it. Hope we'll need a good illustrator for big projects in the future as I don't know anybody else with such a talent.
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
User avatar
Alexandre Roux
 
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:54 pm
Location: Lyon, Rhône-Alpes, France
Hometown: Beynost
country: France

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:18 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:The copyright still belongs to you, or to the publisher of the book?

The copyright belongs to me.

Berislav Horvatic wrote:If I somehow (how?) manage to print some of your pictures, for my own pleasure & my friends',
what would it imply legally?

At the bottom of the website it is stated that all artwork is property of the artist and there's "prints" section too. Generally the practice among illustrators is to sell prints of their artwork but if you want to discuss this further please contact me by PM or via the form on my website.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I'd gave to say that some look (in comparison with how they look on our book) as if they were 'sharpened' a bit too much on my screens, and as such a bit 'sterile'.

That's something that the website editor did when I uploaded the images, not me. I guess I could fix that but as I mentioned the websote is work in progress.
Ilian Velikov
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 12:19 pm
Hometown: Pravets
country: Bulgaria

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:22 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Without Ilian's art, there would have been no book.
Berislav Horvatic wrote:Now, let's be fair, without YOU (and the others) there would also have been no book like this one.


Jeroen, thanks again for this but Berislav is right, of course. Many thanks for inviting me to work on this amazing project. For this I'll be eternally gratefull :)


Remon and Michal - thanks a lot!

Alexandre Roux wrote:Hope we'll need a good illustrator for big projects in the future as I don't know anybody else with such a talent.

Thanks a lot, and I hope you have such projects too and I could be part of them ;)
Ilian Velikov
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 12:19 pm
Hometown: Pravets
country: Bulgaria

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:06 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:At the bottom of the website it is stated that all artwork is property of the artist and there's "prints" section too. Generally the practice among illustrators is to sell prints of their artwork but if you want to discuss this further please contact me by PM or via the form on my website.

Very good, so it's still all yours. (Quite unlike my scientific papers - I simply have to transfer the TOTAL copyright
to the journal publishing it. If I want to (re)use any of my figures in a subsequent publication, I'm obliged to ask
for the permission... at least, in principle. My work, my results, my figure, but once "sold"...)

And thanks, I'd prefer a PM, when/if the time comes.
Berislav Horvatic
 
Posts: 1132
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:35 pm
Hometown: Zagreb
country: Croatia

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Ilian Velikov wrote:At the bottom of the website it is stated that all artwork is property of the artist and there's "prints" section too. Generally the practice among illustrators is to sell prints of their artwork but if you want to discuss this further please contact me by PM or via the form on my website.

Very good, so it's still all yours. (Quite unlike my scientific papers - I simply have to transfer the TOTAL copyright
to the journal publishing it. If I want to (re)use any of my figures in a subsequent publication, I'm obliged to ask
for the permission... at least, in principle. My work, my results, my figure, but once "sold"...)

And thanks, I'd prefer a PM, when/if the time comes.


sorry for offtopic but im curious what is your field of study. do i remember correctly that you are a physicist? what subfield are you into?
User avatar
Michal Szkudlarek
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:09 pm
Location: Poland
Hometown: ...
country: Poland

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:(Quite unlike my scientific papers - I simply have to transfer the TOTAL copyright
to the journal publishing it. If I want to (re)use any of my figures in a subsequent publication, I'm obliged to ask
for the permission... at least, in principle. My work, my results, my figure, but once "sold"...)


I think it depends on what you want to do with the paper, many journals are OK if you distribute the paper without selling it. Also for the figures, I guess it's fine to reuse them provided that you slightly change the font size, the color or style of your curves, etc. I'm wondering if this would be the same with artwork (if you quickly modify few scales on a snake drawing, does it make it "novel" and does it circumvent the copyright issue?
User avatar
Guillaume Gomard
 
Posts: 596
Joined: Thu May 20, 2010 12:29 pm
Hometown: Strasbourg
country: France

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:59 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:(Quite unlike my scientific papers - I simply have to transfer the TOTAL copyright
to the journal publishing it. If I want to (re)use any of my figures in a subsequent publication, I'm obliged to ask
for the permission... at least, in principle. My work, my results, my figure, but once "sold"...)


I think it depends on what you want to do with the paper, many journals are OK if you distribute the paper without selling it. Also for the figures, I guess it's fine to reuse them provided that you slightly change the font size, the color or style of your curves, etc. I'm wondering if this would be the same with artwork (if you quickly modify few scales on a snake drawing, does it make it "novel" and does it circumvent the copyright issue?

i have heard about general 20% rule- at least 20% of it must be changed to make it ''novel''
User avatar
Michal Szkudlarek
 
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:09 pm
Location: Poland
Hometown: ...
country: Poland

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Andre Schmid » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:58 am

Great work Ilian !
User avatar
Andre Schmid
 
Posts: 649
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:38 pm
Hometown: Rottweil
country: Germany

Re: Wildlife Illustrations

Postby Ronald Zimmerman » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:18 am

The illustrations are brilliant Ilian! :D
Website: http://www.ronaldzimmerman.nl
Feel free to follow/Like my Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ronaldzimmerman.nl/
Ronald Zimmerman
 
Posts: 155
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:59 pm
Hometown: Haarlem
country: Netherlands

PreviousNext

Return to Links to other sites on fieldherpetology

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest