If you´re visiting Kazakhstan, please see this link!

Here you may post links to other sites, related to field herpetology

Re: If you´re visiting Kazakhstan, please see this link!

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:49 am

waaaw.... crazy... nice Daboia... or Macrovipera. I did know there are some Naja in Kazakhstan, what species ?
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:33 am

Pierre-Yves Vaucher wrote: I did know there are some Naja in Kazakhstan, what species ?

I think it`s Naja oxiana
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Jürgen Gebhart wrote:I think it`s Naja oxiana

Me too!
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Wolfgang Wüster » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Naja oxiana does not actually reach Kazakhstan - it is found in several of the other "stans" in the former USSR.
Wolfgang Wüster

Hometown: Bangor

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:36 pm

Wolfgang Wüster wrote:Naja oxiana does not actually reach Kazakhstan

Hi Wolfgang,

What do you mean? do you think that this is other species??? what is the Naja species of Kazajstan??

I told this because I in my terralog book I found that the closest Naja of Kazajstan is oxiana species. I also found a book (not herpetologic) "Kazakhstan: coming of age" where the author says that in Kazajstan occurs Naja naja oxiana:
http://books.google.es/books?id=jAu9ttU ... an&f=false

Is this new info about the known distribution of this species?
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Wolfgang Wüster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:
Wolfgang Wüster wrote:Naja oxiana does not actually reach Kazakhstan

Hi Wolfgang,

What do you mean? do you think that this is other species??? what is the Naja species of Kazajstan??

I told this because I in my terralog book I found that the closest Naja of Kazajstan is oxiana species. I also found a book (not herpetologic) "Kazakhstan: coming of age" where the author says that in Kazajstan occurs Naja naja oxiana:
http://books.google.es/books?id=jAu9ttU ... an&f=false

Is this new info about the known distribution of this species?

Hi,

I thought I had replied to this yesterday...

As far as I know, Naja oxiana has never actually been recorded from Kazakhstan - it does occur in the neighbouring countries to the south, and is certainly the only cobra that gets anywhere near Kazakhstan, but unless it has been found recently, there are no records actually from the country. There are no other cobra species near there.

I can't access any of the relevant text in the book, so I can't judge that....
Wolfgang Wüster

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:00 pm

Wolfgang Wüster wrote:it does occur in the neighbouring countries to the south, and is certainly the only cobra that gets anywhere near Kazakhstan, but unless it has been found recently, there are no records actually from the country. There are no other cobra species near there.

I read in the report (http://englishrussia.com/2011/09/27/poi ... e-catcher/ ) that Naja oxiana specimens were found in "southwestern side of Chardara reservoir ", I look for about Chardara in google maps and it is in the extreme south of Kazakhstan, just a few kilometers of Uzbekistan. So maybe this is the first record of this species in Kazakhstan... althouth the records of non herpetologic articles you know that are not always 100% sure...
Gabriel Martínez

Postby Wolfgang Wüster » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:55 pm

Gabriel Martínez wrote:
Wolfgang Wüster wrote:it does occur in the neighbouring countries to the south, and is certainly the only cobra that gets anywhere near Kazakhstan, but unless it has been found recently, there are no records actually from the country. There are no other cobra species near there.

I read in the report (http://englishrussia.com/2011/09/27/poi ... e-catcher/ ) that Naja oxiana specimens were found in "southwestern side of Chardara reservoir ", I look for about Chardara in google maps and it is in the extreme south of Kazakhstan, just a few kilometers of Uzbekistan. So maybe this is the first record of this species in Kazakhstan... althouth the records of non herpetologic articles you know that are not always 100% sure...

Ok, that would make sense (N. oxiana is found fairly close to the Kazakh border in eastern Uzbekistan) - the problem now is that I have difficulty reconciling the field photos of rocky hillsides in the report with the pancake-flat, intensively agricultural area of Kazakh territory south of Chardara reservoir.... but the place is certainly close enough to N. oxiana country to make it a real possibility.
Wolfgang Wüster

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:22 pm

A link with slightly more text:
http://todayswhisper.com/toxic-work

The English stems from the "Google Translator" or something like that, but the meaning is
still recognizable. Here the main points:

"Officially, these two samples of families of venomous snakes are not entered in the register
of reptilian fauna of Kazakhstan. However, this list is long lost its relevance because of the
old age, he was drafted back in the 70s of last century. And now it is not clear that these
snakes are not found."

"It is on the southwest side of Chardara reservoir, about 15 km from the small village of
Bazar-Ak-Tube
, we started searching for poisonous snakes, as material for the production
of biologically active substances."

"Viper lives in the dry foothills and mountain slopes covered with shrubs, rocky gorges in
with springs in river valleys and cliffs along the banks of canals."

And here is the original in Russian, with bigger photos, but no new info (which I hoped for):

http://www.voxpopuli.kz/post/view/id/451

(No need to translate it, you've already enjoyed the translation...)
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Next

Return to Links to other sites on fieldherpetology