Photo organisation

Here you may discuss on cameras, photo technics, image software, etc.

Moderator: Christoph Riegler

Photo organisation

Postby Liam Russell » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Was just wondering how folks organise their vast collections of herpetophotos. Do you use specific software, or file be species, trip, date etc?
Liam Russell

Hometown: Frome

Re: Photo organisation

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:57 pm

Uh, this is a topic I'm also very interested in (what other people use and why).
Formerly i used Adobe Bridge (for tagging, renaming and so on), i think it's really powerful, but i was always wondering, if there wasn't another alternative to that.
If i remember it right, it made for every raw file tagged another .xmp file with the additional information, which i counted as a con, but anyways i was quite satisfied with it..
"Formerly" because i stopped tagging some year or two ago, which may have been not that good idea :roll:
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Daniel Kane » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:29 pm

I have a folder for each year; within that one for amphibs and one for reptiles. The folders get progressively more precise until you reach the species so e.g. Folder 2012, Reptiles, Snakes, Adder. So far no problems remembering which year I saw what in so it works for me!
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:14 am

I keep it simple and effective: year folders and within them subfolders of herptrips named after the location and date. :geek:
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Liam Russell » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:37 am

Well my approach is similar to Vlad's, but now when I look back in some of the older folders I see animals I totally forgot I photographed :roll: (getting old perhaps...)
I was thinking about some kind of system which I could search for species across trips/countries etc. I believe Picasa allows this but there are features of this I'm not too keen on. Are there any alternatives?
Liam Russell

Hometown: Frome

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:49 am

A folder per trip + one for the local stuff each year. Making reports and putting photos online seems to work as memory training. For now. I rather waste my time posting on this forum than entering miles of tags and keywords :mrgreen:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 am

I´m also to lazy to write all infos into the IPTC data.
But, if you would like to have a powerfull and FREE tool to do it, go to http://www.xnview.de/.
Not for German speakers, take the British flag ;)

With xnview you may write important data into IPTC (which are saved in the pictures header) and you may search for species, country, date, aso, and also combinations of the datas.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Bart Smit » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:35 pm

I'm using adobe lightroom. It offers functionality for ordering your shots, light photo editing (WB, sharpening, saturation etc), batch exports, adding watermarks.
I also add tags to my photos, allowing me to find them back after a while and I geotag them, so I can see my shots on a map.

its worth the 99 euros I paid for it.

Bart
Bart Smit

Hometown: Gorinchem

Postby Daryn Cairns » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Im afraid I dont have the same sort of photos as you guys but for my travel site and other photos I save them in folders/sub folders using photobucket, it saves the space on your hard drive and another way of backing them up.
Daryn Cairns

Hometown: South Tyneside

Return to Photo Laboratory