pocket versus SLR

Here you may discuss on cameras, photo technics, image software, etc.

Moderator: Christoph Riegler

pocket versus SLR

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:34 pm

Here just a few notes on cameras.

For my trousers pocket I still use my nikon coolpix L5, a camera I have now about 3 years.
For example, all shots within my reports, up to 2008 have been made with it.
See: http://www.vipersgarden.at/rep.php
I think, the quality is not to bad.
The problem is, you have to come close for detail pictures - this might be "dangerous", when trying to do closeups from venomous snakes (but you may use welding gloves).
Another problem is, its hard to do in situ shots from some distance. Because you shouldnt use the digital zoom function.
Its better to do some cut outs at home on your computer.

Therefore, since last winter I own now a Nikon D40 SLR.
This is also a basic camera, quite cheap (I bought it for less than 280.-- Euros).
But here you need Macro- and Tele-lenses.
And these are more than double of the body price, if you buy good to very good quality.
My lenses have been cheaper!
For example, I have the Sigma 70 - 300 mm Macro tele 3.5 - 5.6 for about 200.-- Euros.
Now I will get the Sigma 90 mm 2.8 macro, which is about 400.-- Euros.

Which cameras (and lenses) do you use?

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Re: pocket versus SLR

Postby Peter Oefinger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Mario,
although best results will be achieved with SLR + adequate lenes, I still use superzoom-cameras (currently Panasonic FZ 28):
- I want to fotograph reptiles, insects, flowers and landscapes. With SLR I would need at least a tele, a macro and a wide-angle - lots of baggage for a field trip...
- With the superzoom (27-500 mm) and a +1 or +2 lens for close-ups I have all the "hardware" I need. For me it's important that the camera has manual aperture and exposure time.
- The quality is ok for internet publishing, for printing posters, a slr would be better.
- The Superzoom is 280 Euro, the complete SLR-equipment would be about 1500 Euro - With that price difference you can have at least one more extensive herping trip abroad! ;-)
Regards
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:41 am

Hi guys,

I am a big fan of this `show your ______` posts so here`s my gear: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ3 + wealding glove when needed :)

My `gear`.jpg
My `gear`.jpg (27.57 KiB) Viewed 10876 times

My wife is thinking of buying a SLR, but i just don`t see my self carrying all the extra gear while jumping after snakes, and running away from bees and wasps. ;)
I mean i somehow manage to hurt myself almost every herptrip, so just imagine what the poor camera would have to suffer. :lol:

Here are some pics with the poket camera:

http://vipersgarden.at/4images/search.php?show_result=1&l=english

Cheers!
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:08 am

I started in 2005 with a pocketi-Cam (Fuji FinePix 410), nice Cam but not good for Pics in Situ.
In 2006 I bought a Bridge-Cam (Fuji FinePix 9600) better than the small one, but I was also not satisfied with the result.
In 2007 I bought The Canon Eos 400 D with the Kit-Lens 18 - 55 and a Tamron Tele55 – 200 , better than anything else before! But I was still not satisfied.
So I bought a Canon Tele 70 – 300 mm, use it mostly for Lizard in Situ pics,
a Canon makro 100 mm (this is a super Lens, but you have to use a Tripod or a flashlight, freehand is impossible) for headshots and small animals and a Canon 17 -40 for Landscape and playing around.

In the End of 2008 I bought a Canon Eos 40 D, because the Sensor of the 400 is/was always dirty, Lens change is/was the reason for that. But I´m still changing Lenses, so I have two dirty Sensors.

Now I have to learn how to handle the Equipment!!!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Liam Russell » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:03 pm

I use the Canon A720 IS compact which is a great camera and has a 6x optical zoom which isn't bad for a compact.

I found that focusing was a bit of a problem, especially half-hidden creatures... I went down the SLR route with a Canon 450D which I chose for price and also because it's fairly small and light. I mostly use the 100mm macro lens but also the 70-300mm zoom. I find this is enough for most herpetological situations.

I think the compact is great and a lot easier to use generally and I still use it a lot. However, there are some situations it just can't deal with so that's why I use the SLR.
Liam Russell

Hometown: Frome

Postby Bjoern Gotzmann » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:38 am

Hello

I use

Sony SLT A55 and SLT A77
Lenses 18-55 and 55-300 and also Tamron macro 180 so you can have a perfect distance for be save and made details.

The problem is only the camera is heavy and big, so i on thinking to buy a littel one for the pocket.

Regards Björn
Bjoern Gotzmann

Hometown: Biel-Bienne

Return to Photo Laboratory