IS Macro Lens

Here you may discuss on cameras, photo technics, image software, etc.

Moderator: Christoph Riegler

IS Macro Lens

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:03 am

Just for information for those of you using Canon SLR . There is a new 100mm Macro lens! The interesting thing about it is that it has IS! Unfortunately it is very expensive (as all canon L-series lenses :( )

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-100mm-2-8L-Macro-Digital/dp/B002NEGTSI

wolfram
Wolfram Schurig

Hometown: Feldkirch

Re: IS Macro Lens

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Here you can find first user-reports for the new Canon 100 IS lens. (The posts are in German but als many pics). The image-stab seems to work perfectly. Probabely a really good lens!
http://www.makro-forum.de/ftopic37835.html

wolfram
Wolfram Schurig

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:10 am

For good pics the lens or the camera is not the most important thing, it`s up to the girl/boy behind it.
I have Lens that I don`t use right or enough, but if I have the money I will buy that one!! Very good resaults!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:18 am

I have live view on the Canon 40 D, but I never use it!
I never made the real situ pics (snakes, lizards, frogs ...) with the Macro lens (Canon 100 mm), only for the tortoise portaits I used that. I alwlay use for situ pics the tele (70 - 300 mm)
Jürgen Gebhart

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:40 am

I made many berus portraits this year and a few ammodytes pics last year, distance between snake and lens 25 - 30 cm. I have glove on my left hand and sometimes
I use a tripod and a remote-control release (hope it is the right word)
I never had the feeling that I´m in a realy dangerous situation.
Jürgen Gebhart

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi,
I like this interesting thread cause I often think about buying a DSLR. But: So far, I am convinced that the question about the right equipment is overestimated!
For good in situ pics, the camera first of all needs to be fast (no change of lenses), a (makro-)tele and a reliable spot-focus.
This problems are solved best by the approx. 300€ superzooms by Sony, Panasonic or Canon.

I think, for online-publication, picture editing is at least as important as the the camera equipment. :twisted:
I know, that most experienced photgraphers will hate my comments, but until know, I don't think it is reasonable, to invest thousands of euros in equipment!
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi Michael,
I am far from being "absolutely satisfied with superzoom pics" . But, in the field, there is usually one question: Will I get a shot or do I still have to change my lens? :lol:
I know several people which are frequently changing lenses and rarely getting a shot...
So, no doubt, there exists brilliant DSLR technology for brilliant pics but that's not always helpful for field herping.
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:39 am

I think weight and lens-changing are striking arguments against SLR in fieldherping. Since I am strong :lol: :lol: I do not mind the first one but the second is a problem. I mean: we fieldherpers collect species via pics - so we don't want to miss any herptile for reasons like lens-changing...For the makro freaks it is different: the are in search for THE PERFECT SHOT and it is not so important which species they shoot....and they have very different criteria for the quality of a makro-pic...

So my standard equipment is: SLR + 90mm makro. No tripod, no flashlight, no nothing....normally I have an additional case on my belt including a standard-zoom 24-70mm for landscapes and other motifs. I remove the makro for that one shot and put it back to the body imediately. Since I don't like lens-changing very much I have been thinking about buying an additional compact camera for non-macro use because it is still less weight to carry than an additional SLR-lens. But I am not sure yet...

wolfram
Wolfram Schurig

Return to Photo Laboratory