revision of New Calodonian Geckoes

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Re: revision of New Calodonian Geckoes

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:26 pm

You are right. I wanted to respond to your arguments, but I didn't mean for so much seriousness, so I tried to take it back to where I started. I'm sorry, in any case.

I did not mean to get personal. No, it is not hard to stick to a serious discussion. The "that's not comparable game" was my honest attempt at a discussion argumentation. I'm sorry if that seems ridiculous to you.

I admit that I have a hard time to drop this hands thing. I find it ridiculously that Peter or Bobby should say sorry for that cat snake hunt picture in the latest Montenegro report. My weakness, I know. I promise I will try to drop it.

Michael Glass wrote:OH - I see, a rule is good as long as...

If I understand correctly that you mean something like "..." = "it's my rule", that makes me really sad. I was defending to have as good as no rules, so how could you think that I would feel pride in "my" rule? Hopefully, however, I misunderstood.

Michael Glass wrote:For me it all boils down to the point of "What is the advantage of showing?".

OK and I understand that. I guess to me it's more like "where's the harm in it?". For me, not everything has to be functional in this world. Like this discussion :roll: :lol:

Michael Glass wrote:which are of course pure BS, dark, highly exaggerated, u name it...

Again, you seem to find my arguments ridiculous. I have, of course, never said that your viewpoint is "pure BS". I don't understand why you don't know by now that I respect your viewpoint. That's at least 1 straight-forward exaggeration, whether you admit it or not. I repeat - I keep trying to say how I understand (but not support) your viewpoint. I hoped that would please you.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I think we do better to show how you handle animals in a good way
[...]
Anyone who purely copies their behaviour from pictures on the internet is an idiot, imho.

I don't see the contradiction in my words, sorry. I am not going to say "everybody has to show proper handling", but those who want to, can do so. The second statement says that I would never start catching venomous snakes based on pictures, whether it is good or bad handling that is shown - I would watch and learn from other people with experience.

Michael Glass wrote:"Michael Glass enforces a law on all people with his nonsense arguments and may want to build a German firewall to even enforce more laws on our personal freedom".

How can this not be ridicule and exaggeration? I just was stupid enough to hope for some change of heart, I guess. My mistake, I'm sorry for that too.

Michael Glass wrote:Something changed between animal movies of old times and that novel Croc Hunter stuff where handling the animal, looking cool, screaming WOOHOOO has become more important than the animal itself.

The "WOOHOO" made me laugh (without cynism!).

Michael Glass wrote:It's not always about your point of view and the freedom that you set up

Agreed, of course. If you mean me specifically by that, of course not!

Michael Glass wrote:It is about questioning these things and trying to come up with good and well balanced trade-offs.

If I wouldn't be all for that, we wouldn't be having this discussion, right? I DO think about what you write.

Michael Glass wrote:But it seems to be similar to this US weapon thing - personal freedom has to be defended with the gun in the hand (or snake, newt, frog - whatever you prefer).

Maybe I misunderstood, but I find this insulting.

Michael Glass wrote:I got now that it seems to be highly important for some people to show themselves

That's what you do too, and what this forum can serve for, no?

Michael Glass wrote:I just hope that there never ever starts a discussion on the personal freedom of some people to post spots or poach animals (God even recommens to subdue the earth) - it may bring you into trouble.

Again, if I understand this correctly, this really sounds like an insult and even a threat. Don't understand the God quote in any case.
I do not post spots and I don't poach animals. Anyway, I would love to see such a discussion (without being insulted, that is), or at least like to see you clarify what you mean.

The two insults you threw at me really sadden me. Although I think you can be hard to talk to and you take things very serious, I feel you are no idiot at all and I respect you in this discussion. Please understand that. I love exchanging thoughts, but that stops when it turns into mud slinging.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Previous

Return to Reading Room