revision of New Calodonian Geckoes

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

revision of New Calodonian Geckoes

Postby Paul Lambourne » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Hello,

Does anybody have a copy of the "Revision of the giant geckos of New Caledonia" Bauer et all, that they could e mail me?

Kind regards
Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: revision of New Calodonian Geckoes

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:19 pm

Found on a website of Philip de Pous and Wouter Beukema- http://www.herpsociety.org
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7861257/Bauer% ... 202012.pdf
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 pm

Summary :P :

Rhacodactylus chahoua => Mniarogekko chahoua, Mniarogekko jalu
Rhacodactylus ciliatus => Correlophus ciliatus, Correlophus belepensis
Rhacodactylus sarasinorum => Correlophus sarasinorum
Rhacodactylus leachianus leachianus => Rhacodactylus leachianus
Rhacodactylus leachianus henkeli => Rhacodactylus leachianus
Rhacodactylus auriculatus => Rhacodactylus auriculatus
Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachyrhynchus => Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus complex
Rhacodactylus trachyrhynchus trachycephalus => Rhacodactylus trachycephalus
Bavayia madjo => Paniegekko madjo
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:49 am

Michael Glass wrote:Athough I have two Mniaro and one Corello, the majority can remain the same. ;)

So it's not OK to show some hands, but it is to talk about captive animals !? :shock: :twisted: ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:58 am

I'm a bad boy that likes the mess that comes from messing with you. :mrgreen:

OK, the hands thing was a poor comparison from my part.

Michael Glass wrote:You eat meat? All hunted or also captively produced?

The issue here is the scope of this forum, not the ethics of what falls outside it.

Other than that I like this French expression "les excuses sont faites pour s'en servir". ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:10 am

Michael Glass wrote:[and all that premature stuff. By not showing, everyone knows how 90% of the pictures are taken, the same as you know where your meat comes from. But the question is - should we make it kind of "cool" to catch and show off, or should we make it kind of cool to show the animal and it's habitat. I prefer the latter.
Micha

I prefer the first, I do it and i show it

the different is you do it but you don`t show it!!!

but anyway the disscuion was about Rhacodactylus!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:30 am

Michael Glass wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:The issue here is the scope of this forum, not the ethics of what falls outside it.
Nono, it is.

No, really, I only wanted to point out that this forum is not for pet-related questions.

OK, I don't like pets and I don't like animals in cages for several reasons. Doesn't also mean I can't be excited to see reptiles in a zoo from time to time, but in theory I would prefer a world without zoos. I don't understand the "gotta have it!" of it all. Wild things <=> human possession. That's just my personal viewpoint, nothing more. It's rather pointless to discuss this, because we will never agree.

If you REALLY want to talk again about "the hands thing"... I respect and appreciate your viewpoint, but I do not believe it. Most importantly, I don't think it should be enforced upon others, let alone this forum. I don't like a world full of rules. EVERY healthy kid catches a frog some day. I don't consider that a macho thing or a conservation threat, but a good thing. I think we do better to show how you handle animals in a good way than not showing it (yet doing it anyway and leaving it all to imagination how to do it). In other words, I agree with Jürgen. I also think we shouldn't overestimate the importance of our discussion, viewpoints and this forum in general. I'm just a obsessive herptalker...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:21 pm

First, I will be nice and address your statements.

Of course, I could quit eating meat. In my subjective opinion, however, keeping animals as pets is an even more trivial luxury than my bloodthirsty hunger to devour them all. It's easy to blow things out of proportion with dramatic comparisons. In short – not the same thing, imho.

I am dissappointed that you don’t address the “gotta have it!” part of the deal.

About the hands thing - as if this forum used to be full with trophy shots, come on ...

Sorry, but that proper handling thing is wishful thinking.

Please leave me alone in my wishful thinking, thank you very much. Why not start your sentences with "I think/believe..." every now and then (of which I’m of course also guilty myself).

You mean the crushed heads of Ammodytes trophy shots we saw several times?

How many times would that have been? I think that you are (a) exaggerating the number of times this happened as well as (b) the harm of what is shown as well as (c) its impact. No point in discussing this again. Kinda gives me the impression your view on the world is slightly darker than mine. Let’s just leave it there.

it may even misguide novices in trying and using fixing methods, gloves, or tongs without the required experience and knowledge

Anyone who purely copies their behaviour from pictures on the internet is an idiot, imho. You can never avoid that. Not with millions of stupid rules and laws. Besides, I find it hard to imagine that you are that much of a philantropist to weep if one of those terrible macho boys would end up getting bitten... :twisted:

Or you mean adder in a welding glove?

So if it was up to you, you would have a nice German Firewall to block any internet page that shows behaviour containing some level of risk?
(( Did I mention before that it's easy to blow things out of proportion with dramatic comparisons? ))

Now I repeat what my point was and is. Hopefully for the last time…

Your post does not belong on a fieldherping forum, imho. I would not have been so naughty to point this out, if it wasn't that you are sometimes strong about what can and cannot be done on this forum => "the hands thing". It would be humble, if not suitable, from your part to admit that. Yet, instead we embark again on that same ol’ Big And Very Important Discussion.

Hands thing - it's not about what I think about it; it's about you wanting to enforce this on others by creating rules/laws...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:13 pm

I just threw you a bone.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:55 pm

Michael Glass wrote:Thanks. It seems anyone with a non-Jeroen point of view is only worth teasing, Ay?

I'm of course too much the same like you to just ignore you.

Michael Glass wrote:About that "gotta have it" - I try to circumvent. Any serious nature protector will directly put that argument back against you - that you disturb and catch animals to have your species list up to 100%. Both things may be questionable from an outside point of view, but the pet keeper and the herper may have different, but also not so different "gotta have 'em alls", not?

I have to admit that the concept is the same, yes, but that's it. You know that I admitted that already. I'm not on a crusade against herp keepers - also said that before.

Michael Glass wrote:it sentences your personal freedom to death

I just prefer as few rules as possible. In this case, one that forbids posting site details would do for me.

Maybe my boss should make a rule to fire me for posting this nonsense on his time...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Next

Return to Reading Room