European Herp Book?

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

European Herp Book?

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:28 pm

People,

I'm looking for a good book on European reptiles and amphibians. And I don't mean a field guide... I mean a BOOK. Detailed descriptions of natural history, range, food haibts, etc, preferably covering the whole continent (maybe even North Africa/west Asia with it?). For those of you familiar with American literature, something on par with Werler & Dixon's <i>Texas Snakes</i> and Petranka's Salamander book.

Thanks!

Matthijs
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Re: European Herp Book?

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Matthijs Hollanders wrote:People,

........ on par with Werler & Dixon's <i>Texas Snakes</i> and Petranka's Salamander book.

Sorry, there isn't - as far as I know - a book covering all you want for the whole continent and all around the Mediterranean too.

But:
A good vipers book is:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Vipers-Europe-Johan-Smedt/dp/3000191135

many of the books are in German language, like:
http://www.amazon.de/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=schlangen+europas&tag=hydraat-21&index=aps&hvadid=2978647615&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=533444141884018547&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&ref=pd_sl_2ije5j1uxa_e

for N-Africa:
http://www.amazon.com/Amphibians-reptiles-North-Africa-systematics/dp/3874293777

and many, many more!

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Ah, thanks Mario. However, I speak not a hint of German and snakes are only a small part of my interest in herpetofauna! I'll surely take a look at the vipers book, but anything salamander oriented would be preferred if all reptiles and amphibians are out of the question.

EDIT: WTF? The Vipers of Europe is not on Amazon nor in the Wageningen UR library!
Matthijs Hollanders

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:32 pm

Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Daniel Kane » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Perhaps not what you may be after but what about using scientific papers instead? If it is the information that you are after then literature of this nature will probably be more detailed and (recent work) definitely more up-to-date than a book; as soon as the next split occurs then the book is out-of-date! And I suppose if it is the pictures you want then there is always google..

As Mario says, I don't think there is a book covering European herpetofauna in its entireity. Perhaps in a few years there may be one... (Jeroen? ;))
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Well, of course I will read scientific literature when trying to figure out a specific species, but right now I just want an overview of the herpetofauna on the continent. I only got into herping in the US, so I'm a n00b to Euro stuff (except Dutch stuff, but that's easily acquired). I want a bit more than a field guide, but I guess it's not there.

Jeroen, write a book. Otherwise, I might have to beat you to it. ;)
Matthijs Hollanders

Return to Reading Room