new paper on Samos herpetofauna

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

new paper on Samos herpetofauna

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Speybroeck J, Bohle D, Razzetti E, Dimaki M, Kirchner MK, Beukema W (2014). The distribution of amphibians and reptiles on Samos Island (Greece) (Amphibia: Reptilia). Herpetozoa 27(1/2): 39-63.
A collection of 1580 recent data records (1993-2012) of amphibians and reptiles from the Greek island of Samos was compiled. All records were mapped onto a grid of 1 km by 1 km, with 261 of the total 648 cells (40 %) of the island holding at least one observation. Subsequently, the distribution patterns and ecological observations were compared with data from other islands in the Aegean Basin. The discovery of the Coin-marked Snake Hemorrhois nummifer (Reuss, 1834), published herein after, constitutes a new island record, setting the herpetofauna list to 28 confirmed species (4 amphibians, 24 reptiles).

Here it is! => http://vipersgarden.at/PDF_files/PDF-7025.pdf
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Re: new paper on Samos herpetofauna

Postby Maarten Gilbert » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:06 pm

Finally... ;) Nice paper, congrats!! I like the addition of the altitudinal distribution, very informative. Chamaeleo is more common than I expected (despite the mentioned sampling bias); Emys much more rare... Let's hope this species won't disappear from Samos. Also, quite some Hemorrois observations!

No way to identify the presumed Mediodactylus specimens? If preserved, perhaps by molecular methods?
Maarten Gilbert

Hometown: Driebergen

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks, Maarten. Samos is hard work but you can tell that a lot of ground still can/should be covered.

Maarten Gilbert wrote:No way to identify the presumed Mediodactylus specimens? If preserved, perhaps by molecular methods?

I've seen pictures - they are Mediodactylus. It's just more than often that the origin of samples gets mixed/messed up. Maria dedicated a subsequent search at the place of origin and came back empty-handed. Maybe time will tell... After ample discussion we decided (not entirely unanimously perhaps ;) ) to maintain a question mark with this species.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Maarten Gilbert » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:38 pm

I see what you mean. Better safe than sorry in cases like that. This leaves some room for a subsequent paper :)
Maarten Gilbert

Hometown: Driebergen

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:18 pm

Very nice amigo, congratulations! That will be a very interesting evening read... The island remains fascinating and despite the low densities I would love to go back there in spring one day.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:51 am

Nice work! Congrats!
Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 am

Nice work - I remember how hard is was to find anything on that Island in summer...
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Return to Reading Room