new Lycian Salamander

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

new Lycian Salamander

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 am

A new subspecies of Atif's Lycian Salamander, Lyciasalamandra atifi bayrami has been described.
See:
Yildiz, M.Z. & B. Akman (2015): A new subspecies of Atif's Lycian Salamander, Lyciasalamandra atifi (BASOGLU, 1967) from Alanya (Antalya, Turkey).- Herpetozoa 28(1/2): 3 - 13 (PDF is in DB = PDF-8076)
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Re: new Lycian Salamander

Postby Laura Bok » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:10 pm

First Lyciasalamandra antalyana gocmeni and now Lyciasalamandra atifi bayrami...interesting choice of names :roll:.
However, what is really interesting is the fact that the authors found many individulas inside a cave. On the other hand - why not? It is not only the so called Cave Salamanders who appreciate the salamander-friendly climate in there.
Thanks for the notification and adding it to the database Mario!
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:01 pm

As always, Laura is too kind. In this case, for yet another example of übersplitting, in my never-so-humble opinion. I think I will have to reward her with a report from the "salamander capital of the world", especially while her hubby-to-be is away, harassing African chamies ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Laura Bok » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:14 am

Jeroen wrote:yet another example of übersplitting

I hope I still get that Great-Smoky-Report, even if I agree that I completely agree about the übersplitting?
I was admittedly more irritated about the split into Lyciasalamandra yehudahi and L. arikani - now I don´t even bat an eye anymore if there is a new subspecies ;) .
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:20 am

Laura Tiemann wrote:now I don´t even bat an eye anymore if there is a new subspecies ;)

A wise position, if there was ever one.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Return to Reading Room