NEW SQUAMATA CLASSIFICATION

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Re: NEW SQUAMATA CLASSIFICATION

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:50 am

..here it is:
PODNAR, M., B. BRUVO MADARIC & W.MAYER (2013): Non-concordant phylogeographical patterns of three widely codistributed endemic Western Balkans lacertid lizards (Reptilia, Lacertidae) shaped by specific habitat requirements and different responses to Pleistocene climatic oscillations.- J. Zoolog. Syst. Evol. Res. 52(2): 119 - 129
tree at page:
Zwischenablage01.jpg

not sure, if he only one 8-)
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 am

Well... both stem from the same year, but it's of course silly to debate.

In any case, I find it hard to believe. Not impossible, of course.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks for your comments! the taxonomic puzzle continues

Sometimes studying the morphology is difficult to believe in DNA. But soon or late we will have to accept "the truth" :roll:

Thanks!
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

Postby Peter Oefinger » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:51 pm

Maybe I didn't get the point: the Podnar paper just says that Algyroides and Dinarolacerta are closely related. This isn't really new nor really surprising:
tn_mosorensis5.jpg

tn_10.jpg

Or did they intend to remove the genus Dinarolacerta?
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Thomas Bader » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:22 pm

If I remember right, Werner told me that the two Western Algyroides are further away from the Eastern two A. species than Dinarolacerta, but I am not really sure about that
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:14 am

Thomas Bader wrote:If I remember right, Werner told me that the two Western Algyroides are further away from the Eastern two A. species than Dinarolacerta, but I am not really sure about that

+1 ;) you're right, Thomas!
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Cool: goodbye, Dinarolacerta!
Someone should publish a paper ;-)
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Karim Chouchane » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:59 pm

Concerning the whole Squamata phylogeny : the Pyron et al. cladogram is not the first to reveal such evolutionary relationships, in fact the examples that you give (Cordylidae - Scincidae; Agamidae-Chamaeleonidae) are very old groupings (or slightly more recent for Amphisbaenia-Lacertidae). So even if the results of convergent evolution can sometimes be striking (e.g. Platysaurus), none of these relationships are really shocking.

If these can sometime appear a little odd to some of us may be due to the fact that the most recent phylogenies are rarely used in general works either by conservatism or by convenience ( which book dealing with reptiles include birds as well??). Especially paleontologists tend to stick to the old classification (with Iguania being the most basal clade) even in higher level publications.

Concerning the Algyroides-Dinarolacerta relationship: even if this paraphyly of Algyroides has been suggested by multiples analysis (Pavlicev & Mayer), none was sufficiently significant to act the inclusion of Dinarolacerta in Algyroides (or the Algyroides split)!

Pavlicev M, Mayer W. Fast radiation of the subfamily Lacertinae (Reptilia: Lacertidae): history or methodical artefact? Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2009 Sep;52(3):727-34. doi: 10.1016/j.ympev.2009.04.020. Epub 2009 May 8.

Platysaurus:
Karim Chouchane

Hometown: Grenoble

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:45 pm

Pavlicev M, Mayer W. Fast radiation of the subfamily Lacertinae (Reptilia: Lacertidae): history or methodical artefact? Mol Phylogenet Evol. 2009 Sep;52(3):727-734

The only potentially paraphyletic genus is Algyroides,as Dinarolacerta (D. mosorensis and D. montenegrina) consistently clusters with Algyroides in all trees. In spite of this association being present repeatedly, the difference in fit between the tree constrained with monophyly and the unconstrained tree is not statistically significant (B10  1), thus the support for the paraphyly of Algyroides is not sufficient given the present data. Nevertheless, in the light of morphological differences between Algyroides and Dinarolacerta even an indication of the very close relationship is surprising and should be examined closer. The morphological characters considered synapomorphies of Algyroides (e.g., large dorsal scales with micro ornamentation; Arnold et al., 2007) are practically absent in Dinarolacerta.If Dinarolacerta were a subclade within Algyroides, these characteristics would therefore have been lost secondarily, for example as an adaptation to narrow crevices, i.e., a special niche within the rock habitats. A perhaps useful hint for the morphological study, could be that Dinarolacerta always appears in the same position and splits Algyroides into two groups reflecting the distributions in the western (A. fitzingeri + A. marchi), respectively, more eastern part of the Mediterranean region (A. moreoticus + A. nigropunctatus). These relationships within the genus Algyroides have been found before based on morphology and molecular data (Harris et al., 1999b).

full pdf (article in press) in db: PDF-1700
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Gabriel Martínez » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:56 pm

Fantastic comments. Rhinechis and Zamenis were in the past together in Elaphe. It not so rare to imagine all of them together again! Much more rare for me it´s to see tesselata so close to Natrix natrix, for me tesselata is quite similar in morphology and behavior to Natrix maura and Natrix natrix (at least astreptophora), a very different to both

Yes Karim. It would be rare a book with the groups: 1. skinks and Platysaurus, 2. amphibaenians and true lizards, 3. chamaeleons and agamids, 4. Gekkos, 5. monitors and glass lizards, 6. snakes and 7. crocodyles, turtles and birds!!! :shock:

Amazing Ptalysaurus, I have also photos of a male, but I prefered to use the female to avoid the envy of Peter ;)

Platysaurus.jpg
Platysaurus.jpg (157.98 KiB) Viewed 5209 times
Gabriel Martínez

Hometown: Madrid

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Room