reptiles of the eastern palearctic

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

reptiles of the eastern palearctic

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:07 am

Since there have been many replies on the Ananjeva/Orlov e.a. item on former Sovjet-Union reptiles I at least want to mention Nikolai Szczerbaks >Guide to the Reptiles of the Eastern Palearctic< which appeared in 2003 (few years after Szczerbaks death):

Guide to the Reptiles of the Eastern Palearctic
61739_0-szerbak.jpg
61739_0-szerbak.jpg (54.7 KiB) Viewed 2855 times

Nikolai N Szczerbak
260 pages, 194 col photos, 162 maps.
Krieger
The problem with this book is that the systematics are not even at the state of knowledge due to the date of appearence in 2003. E.g. you have old Lacerta, Elaphe, Coluber. Also the quality of pics is not the best sometimes. But especially for rather complicated genera like Phrynocephalus or Eremias one gets a lot of details like color variations in ssp., ventral views, and: keys are included. All that is very helpful to getting some orientation within a mass of species one - probabely- will never see in the wild.

wolfram

PS: Does anyone know this one??

The Reptiles of the Western Palearctic 1
174903-western.jpg
174903-western.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

Annotated checklist and distributional atlas of the Turtles, Crocodiles, Amphisbaenians and Lizards of Europe, North Africa, Middle East and Central Asia
Roberto Sindaco and Valery K Jeremcenko
579 pages, b/w & col photos, figs, maps, illus.
Edizioni Belvedere
Wolfram Schurig

Hometown: Feldkirch

Re: reptiles of the eastern palearctic

Postby Maxim Ryzhov » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:14 am

You can download them? Or just buy?
Maxim Ryzhov

Hometown: Saransk

Re: reptiles of the eastern palearctic

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:39 am

..not so far, Maxim. At least I didn't find. I bought the Szczerbak 2 years ago. I think there is a good chance to get it used, sice it is out for a some years now! (I've already seen it for 35,- Euros..)

wolfram
Wolfram Schurig

Hometown: Feldkirch

Return to Reading Room