A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Re: A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:47 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
It's of course easier to fine someone for handling a snake than making sure habitat quality
and quantity are as such that no level of handling can have any effect at population level.

The very words. Yes.
BTW, fining people brings money, but ensuring the habitat quality and quantity spends it.
If you were in the powers to be, which would you choose...?

If(!) those fines are used to spend money as you suggest, I'm in.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:08 pm

If(!) those fines are used to spend money as you suggest, I'm in.

It's just my and yours and everyone's WISH (at least among "us here"), but to suggest that to
the powers to be, is quite another issue. They like to collect money, in any way possible,
including this one, but they don't like to spend it on "useless" things like that. So, nothing
new under the sun, and let's drop the subject.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:17 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:let's drop the subject.

Well, yes, but I welcome Alex to start a new thread, in which I'd be happy to participate in (albeit indeed a 'nihil nove sub sole') discussion on ethical herping etc.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:27 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: Let me make a bold statement - any conservation that focuses on setting handling restrictions without securing habitat is fatally flawed.

Bold and true. I'd back that up 100%.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: It's also funny/interesting how perception on these issues differs between Europe and the USA.

Indeed. I have some US guides that feature not only handling techniques but also techniques of catching with detailed drawings of various traps, lizard snares and so on.

Note: Sorry for continuing the topic here but it's an interesting discussion. Move this to another place if new thread is created.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:42 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: Let me make a bold statement - any conservation that focuses on setting handling restrictions without securing habitat is fatally flawed.

Bold and true. I'd back that up 100%.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: It's also funny/interesting how perception on these issues differs between Europe and the USA.

Indeed. I have some US guides that feature not only handling techniques but also techniques of catching with detailed drawings of various traps, lizard snares and so on.

Note: Sorry for continuing the topic here but it's an interesting discussion. Move this to another place if new thread is created.

Polish books about herpetology include methods of making traps as well.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Alexandre Roux » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:22 pm

I agree this might be in another thread, my mind was just to say that there are good advices in the book but there aren't always used by good herpers.
And even if handling a reptile or an amphibian is forbidden here in France, I'm pretty sure that almost nobody will ever be fined for that.

However, I can't give more details here as I didn't discuss that much about that, but for those who went to Mt Ventoux to spot V.ursinii, you may know that the high number of herpers manipulating a low number of vipers (as the population is really short-term endangered) may be one of the first cause of the viper's decline. Not that it's the only one, but it's having a very bad incidence on the conservation efforts (some people manipulate pregnant vipers and most of them abort).

Here's why these advices aren't suitables everywhere even if they generally are. But you said it in your answer.

For those who want the hardcover version, you can order it on Amazon (France for me, they call this "relié"): https://www.amazon.fr/Field-Amphibians- ... ain+europe
They still have 14 left for what they say.
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Robin Duborget » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:05 pm

Ah yes, but with amazon books are always a bit damaged.
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:23 pm

I am waiting for my copy :) Its gonna be long ride from Germany, to Bosnia and finally to Serbia.
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:48 pm

BTW, besides Amazon the book is also in the top four bestselling books of the biggest natural history book store in UK - NHBS :)
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:06 am

Robin Duborget wrote:Ah yes, but with amazon books are always a bit damaged.

Isn't a fieldguide made to become damaged? ;)
Just kidding!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Room