A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Re: A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

Postby Thomas Bader » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:12 pm

I try to go back to the review:
If there is anything to mention, I go to the chapter Darevskia praticola:
First nowhere is mentioned, that there was a (proposed) split by Tuniyev et al, Doronin etc. during the last years - acepted or not, and the western species was proposed to be named Darevskia pontica (while D.p.hungarica is mentioned in the text).
Distribution: "a less clearly defined range N of the Caucasus" - D. praticola occurs also south of the Caucasus - even mentioned in the text: "up to 2.000m in Armenia", while the species also occurs as far South as Northern Iran
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Thomas Bader » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:14 pm

Thomas Bader wrote:I try to go back to the review:
If there is anything to mention, I go to the chapter Darevskia praticola:
First nowhere is mentioned, that there was a (proposed) split by Tuniyev et al, Doronin etc. during the last years - acepted or not, and the western species was proposed to be named Darevskia pontica (while D.p.hungarica is mentioned in the text).
Distribution: "a less clearly defined range N of the Caucasus" - D. praticola occurs also south of the Caucasus - even mentioned in the text: "up to 2.000m in Armenia", while the species also occurs as far South as Northern Iran

- if you state that the praticola - pontica complex is only one species...
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks, Thomas!

While we outdid ourselves putting so much taxonomic details in a basic publication like a fieldguide :P ;) , I don't think such a book should list all rightfully rejected change proposals. See Freitas et al. (2016), it's in Mario's database - pontica is a synonym of praticola, hungarica applies to the Balkan populations. That's what we were referring to by writing "recent research", not Tuniyev et al. (2011).

You are right about the range description, though, thanks!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Robin Duborget » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:27 pm

I'm still waiting from my book ...
I ordered it in the hardback edition, but it is now unavailable on NHBS.
Do you know when this edition will be reprinted ?

Thanks,
Robin
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:29 pm

Robin Duborget wrote:I'm still waiting from my book ...
I ordered it in the hardback edition, but it is now unavailable on NHBS.
Do you know when this edition will be reprinted ?

Believe it or not, but I don't have a hardcover version myself yet; I also have to wait for the reprint to arrive. Delivery of our free copies has been a disaster. I have asked when this hardcover would arrive myself several times (last time about a week ago), but never received a clear answer. All I can do is let you know when I have mine, but you might even get yours sooner... On Bloombury's own website, it seems to be listed as unavailable, although you can enter your e-mail to learn when it will be available.
http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/field-guid ... 472935335/
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Robin Duborget » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:12 pm

Ah .. Thanks Jeroen ! It's seems that this hardback edition will become a collector one !
I think I will eventually cancel the order and reorder it in paperback...
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Well, it will come for sure! There is certainly a hardcover reprint on its way.

In the mean time, we reached the n°1 spot in the sales charts for both amphibian and reptile books on Amazon.co.uk. :D
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Alexandre Roux » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:30 pm

Robin Duborget wrote:Ah .. Thanks Jeroen ! It's seems that this hardback edition will become a collector one !

Pretty strange for you guys as I ordered my paperback a few months ago and, as I didn't received it, I cancelled it and ordered the hardback one (which is twice the price of the papeback one). It took 3 days before I finally received it home.

Already started looking at the inside and most of what I saw is really awesome but I'm a bit disturbed by the fact you exposed all these photographic techniques as most of it would be completely forbidden to achieve here in France.
These trully are good advices but I'm not sure it was a good idea to write it in the book. I guess that the persons who will buy the book already have some knowledge about herpetology so that might be alright.
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:24 pm

Alexandre Roux wrote:
Robin Duborget wrote:Ah .. Thanks Jeroen ! It's seems that this hardback edition will become a collector one !

Pretty strange for you guys as I ordered my paperback a few months ago and, as I didn't received it, I cancelled it and ordered the hardback one (which is twice the price of the papeback one). It took 3 days before I finally received it home.

Through which retailer was that? They probably still had some left in stock?

Alexandre Roux wrote:I'm a bit disturbed by the fact you exposed all these photographic techniques as most of it would be completely forbidden to achieve here in France. These trully are good advices but I'm not sure it was a good idea to write it in the book.

Interesting... - an ethical comment...

To my mind, we gave (fairly innocent) advice that benefits the enjoyment of herping. It's also nothing that wonderous or hard to think of. Let me make a bold statement - any conservation that focuses on setting handling restrictions without securing habitat is fatally flawed. Some may even argue that policy makers like to take the attention away from the fact that habitat is practically the whole story by enforcing handling regulations upto ridiculous extent. It's of course easier to fine someone for handling a snake than making sure habitat quality and quantity are as such that no level of handling can have any effect at population level. Maybe something to discuss in a separate forum thread...? Note that I agree that some populations cán suffer from handling and similar types of disturbance. Also, nothing any book can show allows a person to break the law. If you do break it, it's your own responsibility. It's also funny/interesting how perception on these issues differs between Europe and the USA.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:27 pm

It's of course easier to fine someone for handling a snake than making sure habitat quality
and quantity are as such that no level of handling can have any effect at population level.

The very words. Yes.
BTW, fining people brings money, but ensuring the habitat quality and quantity spends it.
If you were in the powers to be, which would you choose...?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Room