A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Re: A&R guide Speybroeck et al. - review it!

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Is anybody else unable to browse the guide at Google Books?

Jeroen, after we sort this out you can delete this posts (regarding Google Books), so that we don't flood this thread with stuff other than feedback on the book.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:27 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:I have no idea why it appears like that. I thought Bloomsbury might have allowed preview only in the UK (which wouldn't make much sense) but then I opened it with Google Poland and I can still browse it there.

Here's the link, try this:

https://books.google.pl/books?id=rymmDAAAQBAJ&pg=PT429&lpg=PT429&dq=amphibians+and+reptiles+of+britain+and+europe+speybroeck&source=bl&ots=3KGoxts3fx&sig=jksaCXeUdj9oQPsgZVRIwCV_YYY&hl=pl&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhrseQ7PDNAhWJBcAKHdXWBTAQ6AEIPzAE#v=onepage&q=amphibians%20and%20reptiles%20of%20britain%20and%20europe%20speybroeck&f=false

I turned on VPN via USA and then via Germany and still i have no preview.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Daniel Bohle » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:47 pm

no preview
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:06 pm

same
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:21 pm

All ok here, read it with no problems
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Kevin Byrnes wrote:All ok here, read it with no problems

So then maybe the preview is indeed only available from the UK...That's not very nice. I'll see if anything could be done about that.

Back to the subject this thread was actually created for - Come on, Kevin, give us your thoughts.
Ilian Velikov

Postby Matt Wilson » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:09 pm

Having received my complimentary copy in the post I have already read most of it. As expected it is without doubt the best coverage of the area in a book form to date. Every aspect is everything I was hoping for, including the acknowledgement that drawings and photographs combined are the best way to go. Although all the authors clearly did a wonderful job, I would have to say my man of the match would have to be Ilian. The artwork is the best I have ever seen for amphibians and reptiles in any guide, so much so that on occasions I had to look carefully to work out if they were not photographs ;-)

Need to get everything read in the next week as I dare not take it to Greece with me and have it ruined by reading it on a beach in 40c sunshine.

Big well done to Jeroen, Wouter, Bobby, Jan and Ilian. A field guide that we have been will be the go to guide for decades.

Matt
Matt Wilson

Hometown: Manchester

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:05 am

Matt, thanks a lot for the very kind words. I'm really glad you enjoyed the book :)
Ilian Velikov

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:32 pm

The fascinating world of publishing keeps surprising us...

While the official release date hasn't been reached yet, a reprint of the hardcover edition has already been decided! First one was 300 (vs. 2100 softcover), now they're printing another 250.

This is an opportunity for us to correct small but obvious errors. So, if you already have the book (either edition) and you spot any blatant errors, feel free to let me know. ;)
Small, tiny typos, also much appreciated!

Of course, it's all happening rather quickly - don't know by what deadline I'll have to submit such corrections. Probably before most of you get your copy...

And for those of you who get the first print, don't worry - only some silly cosmetics popped up so far.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:17 pm

That's great news, congrats! The question pops up though, whether the (perfectionistic) ones who have not yet ordered it, should order now or wait for the second print :roll:
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

PreviousNext

Return to Reading Room