My favourite book

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

My favourite book

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:32 pm

I`m quite sure most european fieldherpers own this one, but in case someone doesn`t know about the Reptiles and Amphibians of Europe (E. Nicholas Arnold) i`ll share some info.

This is the most comprehensive, up-to-date, and best-illustrated guide to the reptiles and amphibians of Europe. Never has such a volume covered nearly as many species or as broad a geographical area.

`All known species, including some that were recently discovered or distinguished, are described through hundreds of superb illustrations on 49 color plates and thoroughly informative text.
In these pages you will find every salamander, newt, tree frog, toad, tortoise, turtle, terrapin, gecko, agama, lizard, chameleon, slow worm, skink, amphisbaenian, and snake found not only on the continent and the British Isles but on the European Atlantic islands (the Canaries, Madeira, and the Azores) and on the Greek islands off the coast of Asiatic Turkey.
Among the highlights are the Majorcan midwife toad, known only as a fossil until found alive in 1980, and the Gomera giant lizard, first seen alive in 2000.` ;)

`The text describes in detail all species and distinct subspecies, with notes on range, size, color and markings, diagnostic characteristics, habits, behavior and, in the case of venomous snakes, their poison. There is an introduction for each group together with keys to aid identification.`

I`ve read it many, many times front to back and every couple of days i take it from the bookshelf and just enjoy the magnificent illustrations. :D

Reptiles and Amphibians of Europe.JPG
Reptiles and Amphibians of Europe.JPG (33.34 KiB) Viewed 2078 times

Language: English
388 pp.
96 color illustrations
198 maps
Around 20-30 euros (as far as i can remember)

So, if you allready have own copy,congratulations. Enjoy it, and spread the word about the great book. If you don`t, find one on e-bay or amazaon today. ;)

Happy Herpin`!
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Re: My favourite book

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:01 pm

Yep, definitely the best guide to european herpetofauna! I have the newer edition..all the same book,just a diffrent cover!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Return to Reading Room