Taxonomy of lissotriton

The place for new fieldguides and discussions on books on field herpetology, description and discussion on new (sub)species, etc.

Taxonomy of lissotriton

Postby Paul Lambourne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:05 am

Hello,

Can anybody point me in the direction of an article/paper that defines the reasons for changing triturus to lissotriton. I know this has been accepted, I just cant find any reference for the criteria behind it.

Many thanks

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Re: Taxonomy of lissotriton

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:26 am

The paper, the (old) genus Triturus is splitted into Triturus, Lissotriton and Mesotriton (now Ichthyosaura) is:
García-París, M., A. Montori & P. Herrero: Amphibia: Lissamphibia. – Fauna Iberica Vol. 24 (2004). Madrid: Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales and Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas.
Its a book chapter.
Sorry, I dont have it!
If someone have a PDF, please mail it to me: admin at fieldherping.eu

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:19 am

It's a bit of an unfortunate fact that this was published in this book rather than in a peer-reviewed paper. I believe I have somewhere a scan of at least a phylogenetic tree in this book chapter, but don't know straight away where I put it...

The tree in this paper =>
http://molevol.cmima.csic.es/carranza/p ... nyNewt.pdf
shows that this was a rightful split, since the old parts of Triturus s.l. were less closely related to each other than to the Pyrenean brook newt on the one hand and the Tyrrhenian ones on the other. As such, the old Triturus s.l. was polyphyletic. Alternatively, you could include all (and apparently also Neurergus) into a single supersize genus. Given the heterogeneity among these taxa, that seems not really desirable.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Paul Lambourne » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Many thanks chaps, most useful and appreciated.

Kind regards

Paul
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Return to Reading Room