Google Maps ID Cyprus

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

Google Maps ID Cyprus

Postby Nils Kooijman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:39 pm

Bit of a funny one, I was 'exploring' cyprus (thinking of maybe going there in spring) on google maps to see the status.

And I stumbled upon this number:

https://www.google.nl/maps/@34.8905768, ... 2!1b1!2i37

Thoughts? :lol:
Nils Kooijman

Hometown: Leiden

Re: Google Maps ID Cyprus

Postby Borji Heras » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:45 am

there are two snakes in Cyprus that could look like that.
Dolichophis jugularis, and Hierophis cypriensis.
the second one is quite uncommon and restricted to Troodos mountains and the surroundings,while the first one is extremely common and i saw dozens in my trips there. so i would say 99% Dolichophis jugularis
Borji Heras

Hometown: bilbao

Postby Ruggero M. » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:03 am

It seems a rather big black "thing": so, if it's a snake, jugularis is a correct idea. But: could it be something else than a snake? A bycicle inner tube or something like that for instance?
The "belly" seems to be paler than the rest, and this fact is a pro snake one; but the overall disposition of the "body" seems to me a little rigid and not 100% natural. But this could be due to the fact that the snake is crawling fast in slope...
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Nils Kooijman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:15 am

Ruggero Morimando wrote:It seems a rather big black "thing": so, if it's a snake, jugularis is a correct idea. But: could it be something else than a snake? A bycicle inner tube or something like that for instance?
The "belly" seems to be paler than the rest, and this fact is a pro snake one; but the overall disposition of the "body" seems to me a little rigid and not 100% natural. But this could be due to the fact that the snake is crawling fast in slope...

Ya I was doubtful for a bit too, but looking at it (though we obviously can't get higher resolution) I feel confident it is a snake.

@Borji: Thanks, Dolichophis jugularis makes the most sense!
Nils Kooijman

Hometown: Leiden

Return to Herp ID´s