Lacerta viridis?

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

Lacerta viridis?

Postby clovis voyageur » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi,

Difference between L viridian and trilineata is really easy. I'd bet on viridis for this one:
What is your opinion?

Šćulac (Croatia, near Karlovac) 25/08/2012
clovis voyageur

Hometown: Lille

Re: Lacerta viridis?

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:34 pm

In any case, Lacerta trilineata is a Mediterranean species
and can not be found as far inland as Karlovac.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:54 pm

See PDF No 0321 in the Literature Database.

So, a juvenile Lacerta viridis, for sure.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby clovis voyageur » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:29 am

Thank you for your answer,
I just looked at the pdf. Then according to it, around Sibenik there is only L trilineata? (It was about to be my next post, so you answered 2 in one, so strong :mrgreen: )
clovis voyageur

Hometown: Lille

Postby Thomas Bader » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:04 pm

For me this lizard looks like a female, not a juvenile. And in this area (although more western) there is acc. to W. Mayer a clade similar to L. bilineata or at least a contact zone. And this lizard looks like it.
Around Sibenik there is only trilineata.
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Thomas Bader wrote:For me this lizard looks like a female, not a juvenile.

I would agree with that. (Of course, it could be both. But rather subadult than juvenile.)

And in this area (although more western) there is acc. to W. Mayer a clade similar to L. bilineata or at least a contact zone. And this lizard looks like it.

Do you seriously mean that you (or anyone else) could distinguish a bilineata from viridis by looking at a photo?
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Do you seriously mean that you (or anyone else) could distinguish a bilineata from viridis by looking at a photo?

Hm, I actually thought that a green throat-area like this in juvenile/subadult specimen is a very likely sign of bilineata influence, or more precise, a typical characteristic of bilineata/at least speaks against viridis :?:
Btw. I would also say it's a at least subadult female.
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Gerald Ochsenhofer wrote:Hm, I actually thought that a green throat-area like this in juvenile/subadult specimen is a very likely sign of bilineata influence, or more precise, a typical characteristic of bilineata/at least speaks against viridis :?:

Hm, "a green throat-area", that sounds (to me) as (un)reliable as the famous "masseteric shield criterion" used to
distinguish a P. melisellensis from a P. siculus... (BTW, Werner says it's crap, and he's quite right. It is.)
In short, I'd very much appreciate if anyone could give me a bilineata vs. viridis KEY, based on morphological
and/or meristic characters only, such as Werner's melisellensis vs. siculus one.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:32 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:as Werner's melisellensis vs. siculus one.

Is that a published thing?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mladen Zadravec » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 pm

From what I know about viridis/bilineata in Croatia, and the green throat characteristic: there's a paper saying bilineata is only in some western parts of Croatia. My vacation cottage near Zagreb is far to the east from the bilineata areal, so bilineata shouldn't, in theory, be present there. If so, why do I find, on a regular basis through the years, juveniles with both green and not green throats there and also on other sites around Zagreb (e.g. Western Medvednica... still fairly east of the supposed viridis/bilineata border)? Check here (these are all from the surroundings of my vacation cottage): http://www.bvo.zadweb.biz.hr/pages/gmazovi/gusteri/gmazovi%20-%20gusteri%20zelembac%20zbirka_eng.htm

By my understanding, if the green throat is such a reliable characteristic, there shouldn't be so many "exceptions to the rule", yes?
Mladen Zadravec

Next

Return to Herp ID´s