A bit of help here with id?

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

A bit of help here with id?

Postby Matthew Treawell » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:36 pm

We were on a night hike and came across this frog/toad, but were unable to identify it. Spadefoot? It had very distinct gold flakes and spots on its skin that don't show up in the photos. (I've included a shot of the fire salamander we found, just for kicks.) It was in forested, riparian habitat, in Rupit, Spain, in the pre-Pyrenees at an altitude of about 860 meters. Any help would be much appreciated.
Attachments
fire salamander2.jpg
unidentified frog or toad2.jpg
unidentified frog or toad on my hand.jpg
Matthew Treawell

Hometown: Sant Pere de Ribes

Re: A bit of help here with id?

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 pm

Midwife Toad (Alytes obstetricans), a (locally) common species in the Pyrenees.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Matthew Treawell » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Thanks, Bobby. We've seen midwife toads before, and this one just looked different. Is there a good deal of regional variation? Subspecies I should know about?
Matthew Treawell

Hometown: Sant Pere de Ribes

Postby miguel santos » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:22 pm

Hi Matthew,
It shoud be a. o. almogavarii. A recent DNA study by Gonvalves (2007) shows that this form is very old and restricted to the NE of Spain where it must live since the late Mioceene. This type does not exist to the South of the Ebro. This goes against what (Garcia-Paris, 1995) wrote. Garcia-Paris described this type in the area of Huesca, is probably an expantion of a. o. o.
They still want to study it further.
What the physical diferences are I dont know at the moment. I will search further, but it must be o.a.almogavarii based on the location.
Miguel
miguel santos

Hometown: maastricht

Return to Herp ID´s