Rana graeca?

You have a picture of an amphibian or reptile and do not know, what it is! Ask here

Re: Rana graeca?

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:50 am

Difficult with small ones but I'd say dalmatina
Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Edvard Mizsei wrote:That one from Central-Albania? Around 1200 m a.s.l.

Surely graeca.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:32 pm

Ilias Strachinis wrote:Difficult with small ones but I'd say dalmatina

Agreed. At first I somehow thought it was a weird Pelophylax; just a minor mental meltdown, nothing too serious.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby clovis voyageur » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:38 pm

No problem for another vu ;) :
But i didn't think it would be that difficult to ID, so no other angle available, sorry.

In Pirin mountain (50-70 km south) i found R dalmatica at 2000m max (pointed snout, long legs, clair throat), mixed with R graeca so i don't know for altitude, but i wouldn't totally bet on that. After 2000m, only R graeca.

Really interesting threat :) Thanks Ilias for German translation, it prevent me for looking on google translate 8-) And many thanks for everyone's help of course!
clovis voyageur

Hometown: Lille

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Well! Now I see a temporaria! :D
Is this the same individual?
Ilias Strachinis

Postby clovis voyageur » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:49 pm

Same specimen. Happy to see everyone agree :)
clovis voyageur

Hometown: Lille

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:32 am

Yes, it's clear now, it seems the first post was very tricky for me with that long snout. Sorry for the confusion I made guys! ;-)
That's why I always ask a second pov in such situations, it helps a lot. I couldn't see it in the first place as others did :-)
Ilias Strachinis

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:47 am

I'm seeing this too late I guess but my immediate thought when I first saw Clovis's frog was temporaria. Skin texture, location and snout confirms it for me. I think with snouts one should not only look at the length which often varies a lot but also the shape...dalmatina has somehow more pointed besides longer snout and in temporaria it's kind of thicker...

In regards of the other photos I already knew what Jeroen's male was because I've seen the photo before. I'd say Daniel's individual from Rila is temporaria as well and Edvard's is graeca.

As Andrej said in Rila at this altitude (almost) any frog you find would be temporaria.

clovis voyageur wrote:In Pirin mountain (50-70 km south) i found R dalmatica at 2000m max (pointed snout, long legs, clair throat), mixed with R graeca so i don't know for altitude, but i wouldn't totally bet on that. After 2000m, only R graeca.

Surely temporaria is found at a higher altitude than graeca (in Bulgaria at least), so I'd say after 2000m only temporaria. How do you know that the rest of the frogs you find were graeca but you wasn't sure about this one ? As Ilias said and showed temporaria here could have quite mottled throats...
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:47 pm

Are they R. graeca or just R. dalmatina? Found at flooded meadow in Ulcinj. Now I see that eardrum is not visible on my photos, I can return to take pics of it. As you see I so far I have found only juveniles, can I tell apart R. graeca/R. dalmatina juveniles based on belly colouration?

Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:26 pm

The first one is too small and at a bad angle for ID but I'd say all the rest are dalmatina.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

PreviousNext

Return to Herp ID´s